Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC running slowly on MacBook Pro after High Sierra Update

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have been running Adobe Photoshop CC on my Retina MacBook Pro 15-inch (with discrete Graphics) for the past two years. Bought the machine and the subscription in March 2016, to be exact.

While initially I had several issues related to power (battery would drain super fast) and heat (machine would get extremely loud and hot within seconds of launching Photoshop or Lightroom), trips to Apple's service centre and multiple chats with Adobe's service team seem to have sorted out those issues, for now at least.

However, of late, especially since upgrading to Mac OS High Sierra towards the end of November, I have noticed several performances issues while opening Photoshop.

Especially when I start the application and click on open new document (Command + O), the spinning wheel appears for a couple of seconds.

It's not for long, but it never used to appear before. If the application has been running on idle in the background for a while and then I click Command + O, the spinning wheel does not appear. It generally pops up on the first instance of clicking Command + O.

I write for a website, so our CMS is web-based and filling in text on my posts becomes a tedious process while Photoshop is running, I have noticed too. Another issue that never came up earlier.

I use Safari for all my CMS work FYI.

Whenever I try to upload a picture and Photoshop is running, the whole process becomes much slower than when Photoshop is off. For example, any tags or captions I have to enter (in text) along with a picture have extreme lag, and do not appear in real-time. They take a few seconds to appear, which is not normal, I know.

My hard drive is 512GB (SSD) and approximately 200 GB + is always free, so I know I have not filled it to the brim. GPU is switched on, RAM allocation is at 70%.

I do not believe I am a 'heavy' photoshop user, as I primarily use the software for light editing, some poster making and some regular stuff like double exposure and composite images etc.

No video work or 3D as of now and definitely not 50-odd layers in any documents.

And to clarify, Premiere Pro and Lightroom are running pretty much lag-free at all times.

Currently my Mac OS version is 10.13.2 and I am running the latest version of Photoshop CC 2018.

And the complete specs for the machine are:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory (RAM): 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics (Integrated): Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

So What am I doing wrong? Or am I expecting too much from my investment(s)?

I paid top-dollar for such an expensive machine and continue to pay through my teeth for Adobe's subscription service, so am I not entitled to a smooth, hassle-free experience? Is it Apple's fault or Adobe's or both or neither?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am in a fix.

Thanks,
Prithvi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a mid 13in 2012 MBP using a 500 GB SSD and 16 GB ram. MacOS 10.13.2  This is a backup Mac. I never upgrade a perfectly running 10.12.6 MacOS for a new .0  OS. I would wait and see by .3 of the new MacOS or later. 

I notice the spinning beachball in CC 2018. It basically has problems with High Sierra and some reported bugs. We need to see if an update will fix this.

So you can also install and use CC 2017 and you won't see much of that. Go to  your CC Desktop panel and choose "other versions".

Downgrade1.png

and 18.1.2 (latest, but not shown.)

Downgrade2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had a chat with Adobe support, they sorted out the issue.

Did a re-install, updated to the latest version of CC 2018 and I have not been experiencing the spinning beachball again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines