• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign cc 2018 won't open a document

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just upgraded to cc 2018. i have a large file that was working in indesign 2017. now it won't open. the app doesn't quit and no error message comes up. i am at a complete loss.

how can i reinstall indesign 2017 or is that not an option. i am working on a mac and this file has been problematic before but was opening fine last time i worked on it.

deborah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

How in the world did you create a document so huge? The only possible explanation I can come up with is that you embedded all images and artwork.

That is a very risky workflow and the chances of you saving this file aren’t all that great.

If you can open it in CC2017 do so and unembed the images immediately and then do a save as so the images are linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reinstall 2017. See instructions below. I'm curious if you can open up other 2017 documents.

Open the CC Desktop app and click on Apps. Click the triangle next to InDesign and choose Other Versions. CC 2017 will be in that list.

Screenshot 2017-10-22 11.58.11.pngScreenshot 2017-10-22 11.58.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! thanks for the quick answer. i can open another file with 2018 but it took longer than it should have given that it is only text. any ideas what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't. As you can see from my screen shot, I'm still waiting for the all-clear to install 2018. What OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 on a MacBook pro Retina , mid 2014

it is a large file 4.16 gb

i have a 2.8 GHz intel Core i& with 16 GB memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How in the world did you create a document so huge? The only possible explanation I can come up with is that you embedded all images and artwork.

That is a very risky workflow and the chances of you saving this file aren’t all that great.

If you can open it in CC2017 do so and unembed the images immediately and then do a save as so the images are linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! when i do the unembed it asks me if i want to link to the original. do i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not unless you know where the originals are. Otherwise, create a new folder for the links and unembed them to that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi bob!

thank you so much! i had no idea why this document kept corrupting and crashing and now i understand - it was way too big because of the embedded images which are all high resolution for a book. i always thought embedding the images was a good thing to do. thanks for letting me know it isn't. you have saved me! can't thank you enough. now the file is 96.8 mb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m glad you were lucky enough to rescue it. We’ve seen a few reports in the past like this where the file was toast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was keeping more than one copy on different hard drives. when one crashed i had back up. i had no idea that embedding files was so problematic and increased the file size. i was actually nervous to work on this file because of the crashes and corrupting. i am so grateful for your help.

would you mind explaining why embedding is such a problem and when is it safe to embed an image? thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not be a problem and it should always be safe to embed an image. If it weren't, Adobe would not have included the very option.

However: it is to be expected that your overall file size increases dramatically. A single typical high-resolution bitmap image can be as large as (wait, let me check) 21MB, which happens to be a relatively small (at 100% size) PSD image with a few layers. There is a cap on the amount of actual memory an application can use, and so InDesign has to rely on the hard disk to read and write those huge chunks of data when called for.

With that, you are at the mercy of your operating system (which may help or hinder) and your hard disk. An even worse case is when you are working over a network connection as it may introduce further random delays and lagging, where InDesign actually can't wait because you are scrolling through the document and you want to see the next page.

Furthermore, I've long suspected there are one or more tiny bugs somewhere in InDesign's memory management ... Even with a good OS and an otherwise reliable HD, people have reported damaged files for as long as I have been on this forum. And it always turned out they embedded their huge images -- it can hardly be pure coincidence. [A point in favor of that theory is that despite the addition of various new features such as a dark UI and Publish Online, the very kernel of InDesign file management has not changed a single bit since at least InDesign CS, and its files are virtually indistinguishable from CC 2018's.]

I've never (well, hardly ever) willfully embedded images and always have relied on linking. That has some pitfalls on its own. Our local network sometimes lags so much that InDesign fails to load a high-res image on demand when creating a high-res printing PDF, and it then silently may include the bitmap preview instead. Fortunately that's a rare occasion ...

But it doesn't mean I am immune to the Inflating File Syndrome: there is a weird internal calculation ID pulls off to guesstimate a good preview size, and for some combinations of size, scaling, and resolution, the preview (which is always stored inside the file!) is as large, or even larger, than the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

why would the document open in ID2017 with no problems and not in ID2018?

Cheers....Scotty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please email your InDesign file to santalwa@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document. You can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Everything was working fine on CC2017.

I just reinstalled all my adobe programs to a new computer and a high end monitor. My Photoshop was crashing because I had the wrong media card. Problem solved .But now I cant open indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by resetting preferences. If the first method outlined in the link below doesn't work, try the second one:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem with my file! Is there any chance you can assist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today after installing the update. I followed the instructions in the link above about resetting preferences and it worked. I'd recommend trying that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laureng270291  wrote

Hello, I have the same problem with my file! Is there any chance you can assist?

Hi laureng270291 ,

did you also embed your placed images?
How huge is your InDesign document in file size?
What OS are you one?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I use to embed my placed images because I encountered many problems with links and packages (lost links). My files are between 2 and 3GB. They open in just a few seconds in CC 2017 and won't open in CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documents that size are prone to corruption. Open it in CC2017, unembed those links and do a save as to a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on! The file is not corrupted. It opens in CC 2017 in under of one second. And I never encountered any so-called "corruption" until CC 2018. Why allow embedding if a 2GB is "that big" it's "prone to corruption"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are cars capable of 120 MPH speeds if it's illegal on 99.99% of roads in the world.

Embedding a few small graphics is fine. Blowing up a file to 2-3 GB is just a horrible workflow.

Sorry you don't like the answer but that's just the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 is working fine. CC 2018 is not. But, ok, it's not Adobe's fault, it's my horrible workflow. Well noted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got lucky up til now. I've given you the best advice you're going to get, but if you want to keep playing with fire, that's your business.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines