• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a clipping mask over a low-opacity layer

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a layer set at 50%, and a layer above it that I have set as a clipping mask for it -- unfortunately I can't figure out how to keep the clipping mask layer from being affected by the low opacity layer. Here are a couple picture of what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 5.15.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-20 at 5.16.04 PM.png

I just want to keep the pattern of the transparent shirt attached to it, so that when I am drawing the pattern it doesn't go outside of the shirt, if that makes sense. I have tried layer masks, blending options, linking the layers, adjustment layers... but maybe I'm not doing something right. I mainly only use Photoshop for painting so I'm not too adept with all the tools.

So is there a way to keep the pattern locked into the base color of the shirt and not have it be affected by the opacity?

Thank in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

When you clip a layer to a layer the layer is clipy to the layers transparency. That is its Opacity and layer Mask.  You could instead  not clip the layers and use the same layer mask on both layers by either duping the layer mask or  or grouping the layers and masking the group.

Seperate Seleced Pixel  Layers area and Opacity. Pixel area is layer mask and can also contain partial slelection(opacity) gray areas. A selection can contain be feathered and have other gray areas.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you clip a layer to a layer the layer is clipy to the layers transparency. That is its Opacity and layer Mask.  You could instead  not clip the layers and use the same layer mask on both layers by either duping the layer mask or  or grouping the layers and masking the group.

Seperate Seleced Pixel  Layers area and Opacity. Pixel area is layer mask and can also contain partial slelection(opacity) gray areas. A selection can contain be feathered and have other gray areas.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines