• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fireworks alternative

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my newest computer neither CS4 or CS5 applications function anymore. First I made the mistake of using the migration assistant to go from old mac to new mac and because adobe is lame this came across with a glitch that Im not able to get rid of even though I deleted the install, downloaded the software again from adobe and entered my serial numbers. Still got the same error message.

Contacted adobe and they said, oopsie, legacy software no longer supported and does not work with newer mac computers. And offered no solution to the problem other than me having to spend more money.

now I have literally hundreds of legacy fireworks layered and paged files and its seems nothing can open them. I still have the old imac on which I can open the files in fireworks and save out literally thousands of pages as PSD layer files. did I say tedious? In estremis.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative to fireworks that preserves layers and files? Its my understanding adobe has no alternative and is dumping or has dumped fireworks. Affinity software can open my PSDs and illustrator files but so far cant open fireworks layered and paged files.

Im stumped. to best of my knowledge there is NO software that can open fireworks layered and pages files. Maybe Im out of the loop? Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A late answer, but perhaps it might still be helpful. As you state, nothing but Fireworks opens layered PNG files. Nor would it really be possible for any third-party developer to maintain all effects and curves without spending a large amount of time and energy on reverse engineering the undocumented Fireworks layered PNG format and translating those to native features. Adobe never published any information related to the proprietary file format.

Fireworks does still work on Windows, though. What you could do is install a virtual machine with an older version of Windows installed, and install Fireworks in that environment. That makes it possible to run Fireworks on your new Mac, and you'd be able to open your Fireworks source files. Windows & Fireworks would be running in a window on your desktop.

To learn more about this method, read the following article: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-virtualisation-app-run-windows-on-your-mac-boot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best option is to convert all Fireworks PNGs to PSDs - I have created a Fireworks command to batch convert FW PNGs to PSDs retaining layers etc. If you want it DM me.   We're still using Firweorks but thought it might be prudent to keep PSD and FW PNG versions.

My opinion for what its worth, carrying on using Fireworks , its still available via Creative Cloud and it is STILL the best all round tool for UI/Web/Prototyping. No other tool offers the same extensive bitmap/vector all-in-one toolset and fast workflow.

Best alternatives I'm aware of:

Sketch (Mac Only) But it doesn't have the same bitmap editing features as Fireworks,

Affinity Designer (Windows & Mac) - Affinity are very active with development and it offers pretty solid bitmap and vector tools in one program.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you convert files for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you convert my fireworks PNG files to PSD files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone convert my fireworks PNG files to PSD files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it fireworks, if you want to batch convert I have a command you can use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create a file with jsf extension enter following contents and copy it into your fireworks > commands folder:

var fileList = App.chooseScriptTargetDialog(App.getPref("MultiFileBatchTypes"));

for(a = 0;a< fileList.length;a++){

fw.openDocument(fileList);

var psdFile = fileList.toString().replace(/png$/i,'psd');

var dom = fw.getDocumentDOM();

fw.exportPSD(null,psdFile);

dom.close(false);

}

Run the command and select the browse button to locate the Fireworks PNGs to convert to PSD then click OK....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines