• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalogue backup runs on import

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Lightroom CC Classic on Windows 7. Frequently when I import images, a catalogue backup is initiated (Why?) and the import fails. If I exit lightroom, lightroom will not restart with the original catalogue, and I get a message that the catalogue is in use. My computer will not shut down the usual way, so that I have to power off the computer; when I get windows back up, I am able to get back into Lightroom with my original catalogue. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling lightroom, without any improvement. Need help with troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Morris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Thanks to Jao for his post.

So, Morris,  things you might do-

1)  Learn about the Catalogs in your computer. Which is the ONE most important to you. Do NOT open 'backup' catalogs, or do not rename catalogs as "Backup..."- this just makes for much confusion.  To see active catalogs- When starting Lightroom, hold down the [ALT] key while you click the Start Menu/Icon until you see a dialog with a list of available catalogs.

2) Turn off (un-check) the "Automatically Write into XMP" in the Metadata tab

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try if it helps to reset the preferences: Resetting Preferences in Lightroom CC/6

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, see my response above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preferences, but still have the same problem. The import does not work. When I click on Task Manager, it says that the backup is running. If I indicate to stop the backup via the Task Manager, it closes Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the purpose of fixing the issue, try deactivating the backup in the catalog preferences.

Please also post a screenshot of when the issue occurs during the import.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled lightroom and turned off backups. Same problem occurred. Upon import the backup starts. The first screenshot indicates a backup in progress at the top left. When I click on task manager (second screenshot), you can see that backup is running. The third screenshot shows the message I get when trying to quit. The fourth screenshot is what I get when I try to reopen Lightroom. Cannot figure out what is turning on the backup.

Import.pngTask manager.pngQuit.pngReopen LR.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments on your screen-clips:

1) the first indicates the NAME of the catalog you are viewing (not a Backup in progress)

2) A mystery!  Not sure why. Again I think that is your Catalog name. (Windows-10 shows the Application Name "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic (4)" )

3) You must be writing metadata to XMP files for all your photos. I note this error message says "Not responding". If you have many image files this process can take considerable time (I occasionally see 'Not Responding' with intensive file manipulating functions but Lr always resumes.).

4) This error will appear if Lightroom is not closed down in the proper manner. A 'left-over' temporary file called  {Your Catalog Name.lrcat.LOCK }  will be preventing Lightroom from opening the catalog.

Another point about screenclip-1:  It is showing buttons [Import Catalog] [Export Catalog].  These usually do not appear unless holding the [ALT] key, and they are NOT for Importing images to the catalog.

So are you trying to Import Images or Catalogs?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are correct that the name of the catalog is what I am viewing, so backup may not be running.

I am writing metadata to XMP files. However, if I am importing only one photo, why would it try to write to the rest of my 20,000 images and take a long time? I can try deleting this command and see if it makes a difference.

I have seen "catalog Name.Ircat. LOCK" listed in the backup file.

I am trying to import images, not catalogs. I have not been holding the ALT key.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no backup running here. It is just the name of your catalog. The issue is indeed likely that you are writing xmp for your images and somehow Lightroom thinks all your images have changed so it is rewriting them for all of them. This can happen if you for example upgraded the develop process of your images. The only solution to this is to wait until it has done that if you really need to write xmp files or to simply turn automatic xmp writes off and only write them (control-S) when you really need them. You only need to do that in very special cases as the xmp files are not used at all by Lightroom.

>I have seen "catalog Name.Ircat. LOCK" listed in the backup file.

You can simply delete this file to be able to reopen your catalog after you've force quit/killed Lightroom. No need to reboot your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Jao for his post.

So, Morris,  things you might do-

1)  Learn about the Catalogs in your computer. Which is the ONE most important to you. Do NOT open 'backup' catalogs, or do not rename catalogs as "Backup..."- this just makes for much confusion.  To see active catalogs- When starting Lightroom, hold down the [ALT] key while you click the Start Menu/Icon until you see a dialog with a list of available catalogs.

2) Turn off (un-check) the "Automatically Write into XMP" in the Metadata tab of Catalog Settings.

3) If Lightroom will not start- find the .LOCK file and delete, then always close Lightroom correctly from the menu (or X) and allow a backup to occur from the 'Backup' dialog. Another option in the Catalog Settings- I suggest- "Every time Lightroom exits"

4) If the Lr Library window is showing buttons [Import Catalog] [Export Catalog] then something may be wrong with your keyboard. I do not know of a way to see these buttons without holding the [ALT] key.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He probably has been holding the [Alt] key to only get the focused window for the Print-Screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble trying to fix the catalog naming. I placed the backup in a new location in hard drive C, but the program will not open when I chose "Backup 2-3" as the new catalog (See screenshot 2). I got the following error message (Screenshot 1)

I remain very confused.

Furthermore, when I used the previous "Backup 2-3" catalogue, my images do not import.

I appreciate your continued help.Error message.png

Recent catalog backup.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not open a zipped catalog. You need to unzip (extract) it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the catalog after unzipping. Is it normal that the catalog backup would be zipped? How do I change the name from Backup 2-3?

Still unable to import a single photo with writing into XMP turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now import seems to be working, albeit slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Satisfying when "working" correctly

Some more comments for you-

1) Rename instructions here- How to Rename a Lightroom Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

2) Move your working Catalog (and Previews folders) to a more suitable location (NOT in the {Backup} folder). Commonly used folders include {My Documents\Pictures}, or in a 'Parent' folder on a Hard-drive that is dedicated to Images and Catalog only.

3) Your Backups (in zip folders) MUST be stored on a physical hard-drive that is different to the Catalog drive. And never 'open' backup catalogs unless needed because of corruption or computer failure.

Keep on..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More problems. I do not see the previews in the working catalog location (screen 2), and LR is not opening correctly due to error message/corruption (screen 1). Same story when I close LR and backup again.

I have been putting my working catalog on my internal hard drive under MY Documents. This is automatically copied to an external hard drive. Does that sound OK?Error2.pngRenamed catalogue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morris,

So how 'new' are you to LIghtroom?

How much experience have you had with Lightroom?

Then

Where was your original working Catalog?  ( And it would not have been in the "Lightroom Backups" folder)  so where?

And  Re: the screen-clips:

Did you rename a ZIP backup folder?

Did you rename the extracted Catalog file?  Did YOU call it {Lightroom CC.LRCAT} ?

I have been putting my working catalog on my internal hard drive under MY Documents

So why show me the Backups folder?

Why did you not COPY the extracted catalog file and PASTE it into another folder under {My Documents}? It is not good to leave it in the Backups folder.

I do not see the previews in the working catalog location

A copied Catalog (and an extracted catalog) does not need (or have) Previews,  as Lightroom will re-build Previews when the Catalog opens.

This is automatically copied to an external hard drive. Does that sound OK?

No.  What do you think is "Automatically copied" ?

Study this link to learn how to restore from backups. The link is dated and does not mention that Classic places backups in ZIP folders.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/disaster-strikes-corrupted-catalog/#restore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may seem like a beginner, but I have been using Lightroom since version 2. The catalogue has always been a challenge.

My original working catalog was in the LIghtroom Backups folder under My Documents in hard drive C. I altered the structure of the filing a little while ago, as it was very confusing. My backups were not being listed by date in an understandable fashion.

I did rename a Zip backup folder and the extracted Catalog file. I called it Lightroom CC. Is there another name you recommend?

I will copy the extracted file and Paste into another folder under My Documents.

Using a utility program "Karen's Replicator",  my documents on the C drive are copied to an external hard drive. That way I have two copies of my backups.

Will study the link and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lightroom catalogue has been renamed, seems to work, and the full complement of my images appear. The modules (Develop, etc) all work. However, IMPORT does not work and results in program "not responding".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next step-

Can you post a screen-clip of your full Import screen?

We would like to see-

1. Source

2. Method  (Copy move add)

3. Destination

And- at what stage of the Import do you see "not responding"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached a screen-clip of the import screen (3). The import does not occur after waiting for 5 minutes (writing into XMP still turned off) (Screen 2)Message after stopping import.pngWaiting for import.pngImport Screen.png; when I terminate the import, I get the "non responding" (Screen 1)

Thank you for your continued attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now looking at your Destination panel-

ScreenShot106.jpg

Which FOLDER do you have high-lighted to be the 'Parent' folder for the  {Test} folder?  (I do not see it here)

You must see a bright folder high-lighted like this-

ScreenShot107.jpg

And does the Destination 'parent' folder have full Read/Write permissions in its Properties info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines