• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I mask the transparency area of a picture?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo template file (square photo frame) and the inside of the photo frame is a transparency area for an picture to be inserted; I need to know how to mask the inside of the photo frame only; but every time I use the mask option it mask outside of the photo frame, I can not insert a picture with the inside background picture showing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the inside of the frame, click on the new layer mask button at the bottom of layers panel. If it is backwards, hit cmd or cntrl + i with the layer mask selected and it will invert your selection. You can also double click on the layer mask and a properties panel will pop up - it has an invert button.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will following your instructions to invert the selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider an option where a mask is not needed at all. I imagine you have a template with transparent cells such as the one shown here. If that is the case:

Use the Magic Wand set to Contiguous in the Options bar to Select a cell. Marching ants will appear.

Choose an image, such as the one on the left. Select > All followed by Edit > Copy

Return to the template. Choose Edit > Paste Special > Paste Into. The result will be Figure 2

To resize the the image to fit, Edit > Transform > Scale. Hold down the Shift key to maintain proportion.

grid0.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines