Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

highly inept Apple lap top user........

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have an Apple Mac Book Air 13" from 2013.  Since that date I've been struggling to get to grips with Apple's 'photo'.  Now made my confusion worse by opting for the 7 day trial of the very latest Photo Shop software, as I would like to be able to do some VERY SIMPLE editing, ie unwanted object removal..... 

I've fallen at first hurdle, as I don't have a clue on how to even import my own images into the "edit pane??"

Please help an aged, but keen, photo enthusiast!

George

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Hi and welcome to Photoshop

With Photoshop you don't need to import , you just use File >Open, search for your image and it will open in a window  ready to adjust.

Take a look at the introduction videos here which should help to get you started

Photoshop CC tutorials

There is also a good search feature at the top right of the Photoshop workspace. Click the icon below

Then type in what you want to do e.g. "get started"

Have fun and shout out in this forum if you get stuck

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can I just clarify - are you using Photoshop CC or Photoshop Elements. It sounds like it may be the latter, if so I'll move your post to the Photoshop elements forum.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

It’s the CC. Free trial for 7 days, but obviously designed for people who have a much better grasp of editing than me!

It’s a shame that Apple photo’s editing options are really very basic, and won’t allow me to do what I want……..

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome to Photoshop

With Photoshop you don't need to import , you just use File >Open, search for your image and it will open in a window  ready to adjust.

Take a look at the introduction videos here which should help to get you started

Photoshop CC tutorials

There is also a good search feature at the top right of the Photoshop workspace. Click the icon below

Then type in what you want to do e.g. "get started"

Have fun and shout out in this forum if you get stuck

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much…..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK  So far so good.......  PS is now telling me that I cannot open the requested file as 'format of this file is not recognised'.

The video was recorded on an iPhone 7S Plus.  Is this a conflict between Apple and the rest of the tech world??  I've come across this before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use an Apple iPhone so I can't test here. But in general terms - whilst Photoshop can open some common video formats and carry out limited video editing it is primarily a pixel editor not a video editor.

You can see which formats Photoshop will open by using File Open - and looking at video formats. That said the list shows video "containers" and the actual video in a container also has to be in set formats to be readable.

If you can't open it - try converting your footage with Handbrake (Google it) , to a format that can be read. That has to be done even when editing with Premiere Pro so that a phone's variable frame rate is converted to constant frame rate.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

You have been so helpful today; thanks so much  -  even hearing you say "pixel editor" fills me with dread and awe!!!

I'm definitely barking up the wrong tree (as we say here) with regard to my wishes to just 'paint brush' an image.

As my wife and I are away from this Thursday, I might exit the free trial now.....

Thanks again, ( and to all the forum members who viewed my original post)

George from Pembrokeshire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For simpler functions take a look at Photoshop Elements. It may well meet your needs

Easy Photo Editing & Collage Maker | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018

As with Photoshop CC, do check the system requirements though to ensure it runs on your hardware  Photoshop Elements system requirements  if note there were some outlets selling the remaining copies of Photoshop Elements 15.0 whilst stocks lasted.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Dave,

One last request  -  how do I unsubscribe from my plan????.  As I've mentioned, it's a free 7day trial; how the heck do I unsubscribe?

What happens at  the end of the 7 days if I can't unsubscribe myself?

Adobe is NOT very helpful in this case........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you just taken the trial or subscribed to a plan?

If it is just a trial - at the end of the trial period it should stop working. A trial normally needs to be converted to take out a subscription (see below)

Convert a Creative Cloud trial to a paid Creative Cloud membership

To check , in the desktop app click at top right (in my case on my picture) and choose Manage Account. You can see any plan details there .

For info, to end an existing subscription plan :

How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines