• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Create space on Mac internal hard drive in Lightroom

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find as I use lightroom my internal harddrive loses space.  I don't use it to save imports.  What files can I move to an external drive and still have lightroom find them when it needs them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Your internal hard drive will lose space if that is where you are importing your images. Also, the catalog will increase in size. You can move all of your images to an external hard drive as long as you do it in the right way. Your images are not "in" Lightroom, so they can be stored on any hard drive that is connected to your computer. What version of Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your internal hard drive will lose space if that is where you are importing your images. Also, the catalog will increase in size. You can move all of your images to an external hard drive as long as you do it in the right way. Your images are not "in" Lightroom, so they can be stored on any hard drive that is connected to your computer. What version of Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. However I import to an external drive but I suspect that my catalogue grows on the internal drive and I create smart previews. How fast can a catalogue grow and do the smart previews go onto my internal drive regardless where I send the imported photos. If so, can I move the catalog to an external drive as well as the smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom CC 2015.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog can be moved to the external hard drive, as can the Smart previews. Why are you using Smart previews? One of the main benefits of using them is so that you can edit the images when the master images are not connected. If the master images and the Smart previews are both on the external hard drive, what benefit do you plan on getting from using the Smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense. How do I move the catalog so lightroom knows how to find it? How do I delete the smart previews?

I appreciate very much your help. Thank you!

Victor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All that is necessary is to move or copy the catalog to the external hard drive. I would suggest copying the preview folder as well, although that isn't really necessary because Lightroom will just regenerate the previews. After you have copied the catalog to the external hard drive and put it in whatever folder you choose then all you have to do is double-click on it in its new location. As long as your images are still in their same location, that's all there is to it. When you have smart previews, there should be a menu option giving you the choice to delete those smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines