• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Videos into Lightroom

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed Lightroom mentions the ability to import videos in addition to photos. Is there a benefit to importing videos into Lightroom and have them cataloged with Lightroom (especially if someone uses Premiere Pro for video editing)?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

If you use the same cameras to capture both stills and video for a project, then it's convenient to be able to use Lightroom collections to organize them. For example, I wanted to use Premiere Pro to edit stills and video using media that Lightroom had already imported from my camera cards. I used a Lightroom collection to create a shortlist of which stills and video I wanted to use. I did a Select All in the collection, then dragged everything directly into Premiere Pro and dropped them into th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mallardnathan wrote:

Is there a benefit to importing videos into Lightroom and have them cataloged with Lightroom

That's something you have to decide whether or not you get a benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the same cameras to capture both stills and video for a project, then it's convenient to be able to use Lightroom collections to organize them. For example, I wanted to use Premiere Pro to edit stills and video using media that Lightroom had already imported from my camera cards. I used a Lightroom collection to create a shortlist of which stills and video I wanted to use. I did a Select All in the collection, then dragged everything directly into Premiere Pro and dropped them into the Project window. At that point I was ready to arrange them into a sequence and start editing. (This is on a Mac, I hear that it may not work to drag and drop from Lightroom to Premiere Pro work on Windows.)

But the range of formats that Lightroom supports is limited, so if you need to organize a lot of video/audio file types that Lightroom doesn't recognize, you may be better off organizing for Premiere Pro using Adobe Bridge and its collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated and good comparison on when to use Lightroom and Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently started shooting in 4K using a sony a6500 (x-avc s format).  When I tried to use Lightroom to organize my photos and videos, it imported the photos but not the video.  I'd like the videos to be imported into the same file folder structure as the photos (i.e. I would like the photos and videos I took on the same day to be in the same folder).  Can Lightroom do this?  If not, can Bridge do it?  I do not use Premiere for my video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using LR Classic CC on an Imac with the latest OS.  I have been attempting to use LR to catalog the last few years of my photos and videos (dslr, cell phones, gopro). I keep getting an error regarding the dynamic link server (or something to that effect).  It appears LR does not handle video files well along with photos during an import. 

If I am using LR to organize folders/subfolders and I want my videos to be in each event / subfolder, is there a way to move them manually outside of LR and have lightroom find the path to them and have them show up?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines