• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a Mirror-Plugin

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! For a project that I'm doing I want to take normal photographs and "mirror" them.

What I'm doing is very easy: the left half of the image will be the "normal" side, the right side of the same image will be it's "mirrored" side.

For sure I know how to do this in Photoshop manually (duplicate layer, transform, etc...). My problem is, that I would like to be able to move, scale and rotate the original image layer (left side) along the mirror-axis (middle), and see the result on the mirrored side (right side) in real time if possible, so that I can find exactly the right mirror axis easily.

Is there any way I could work with some script or some trick with a smart object that would enable me to do so? Or maybe someone knows a plugin or app that would help me to do so? It would take a lot of blind guessing out of my work if I could just move one original layer and see the mirrored layer being updated in real time...

I've found some app called KaleidoFx, it's for making Kaleidoscopes (obviously), but it's not what I'm looking for.

Any idea would be greatly welcome!!!

Thanks, S

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Until you find a suitable plug in you can try this. It is not quite as convenient as a live update but workable until you find something more suitable:

1. Open your image

2. Convert it to a smart object

3. Ctrl+J to duplicate the smart object

4. Flip the copy horizontally

5. Add a layer mask hiding half the copy

6. Now double click the smart object to open it

7 Use Window arrange two up vertical to view both the smart object and the mirrored image

8 Use the move tool to move/nudge the image in the smart

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you find a suitable plug in you can try this. It is not quite as convenient as a live update but workable until you find something more suitable:

1. Open your image

2. Convert it to a smart object

3. Ctrl+J to duplicate the smart object

4. Flip the copy horizontally

5. Add a layer mask hiding half the copy

6. Now double click the smart object to open it

7 Use Window arrange two up vertical to view both the smart object and the mirrored image

8 Use the move tool to move/nudge the image in the smart object each time hitting Ctrl+S to update the mirrored version

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, many thanks for this response! It's pretty much exactly what I needed! Cheers, Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit of a long shot, but Flaming Pear's 'Flood' might do what you want.  You can set the amount of ripple in the water to zero to make it a perfect mirror.  You might have to rotate the image through 90°, run Flood, and rotate it back again — it's a long time since I've used it, and there is even a new version since I used to play with it.

Flood Photoshop plug-in adds water to photos - Flaming Pear Software

I'm a wee bit full on right now, but I think I'll download the trial and see what has changed when I get some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! Will look into it!! xo, S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Here are some Mirror Effects Creative Scripts:

Creative Scripts | Tonton Pixel

A mirror plugin if your using windows:

http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/quickmirror.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i treid the smart-object use as a workaround. It works okay. But still nothing compared to the great mirrorplugin in Affinity Photo. 

Is there any similar and cheap plugin for PS on  the Mac available? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i was looking to do this too and i figured something out its kind of like the smart object idea but.

open your document .  open windows toolbar -> arrange -> new window for your document (at the bottom)

and on one side selected go to view -> "flip horizontal" and line them up vertically (windows -> arrange -> 2 up vertical) .. its more cumbersome than that smart object approach but updates faster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and at the end manually mirror the result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might not be following you 100%, so just in case, do you know the purpose of View > Flip Horizontally and how it works?  It's a tool artists and illustrators might use to flip the canvas because that different perspective can sometimes reveal problems with an image.  It is not actually flipping the document or layer in the same way that Free Transform can do.

If you check Flip Horizontally and save the image as a JPG, then when you load or view that JPG, it will have reverted to its original state.  My apologies if you knew that and are using the tool in a clever way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yea i meant in the context of creating with a "mirror" on as you are creating.  by having two windows side by side with the right doing the horizontal flip, it was the closest i can get to having a mirroring effect on as i am creating.  at the end you have to manually mirror,.,.,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

two windows of the same document ::

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines