Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem in preview files - original raw Nikon d850

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I found a problem importing some raw files from a Nikon D850 and I can't solve by myself.

What I did:

import in LR cc a shooting session, raw files. Files copied from external memory to disk, no errors.

After importing ask to generate 1:1 previews for all files

When i reopen folder to select images, I found few previews (only four on 800 files) like this:

(sorry for the R-rated image, it was a nude photoshooting)

Screenshot 2018-01-23 21.58.05.jpg

The image seems truncated...

1) ARGHHH my new dslr Camera!

No, I tested it: the file is ok if opened with nikon software capture NX and it's ok.

2) So, my memory card has a problem!

No, I tried to open the same files copied inside lightroom, not a new copy from the external memory

So, there should something wrong with Lightroom...

1) Ahhh ok, it's only a preview problem, just rebuild it

NO! First of all exporting the image in jpg file have the same issue, so it's not only the preview

2) Well, there was a problem while importing the file...

Yes, I think so. Because if I reimport the same file (exactly the same, not a new one from the external memory) I found everything goes well.

Now, apart from asking lightroom team to investigate on this strange "bug" (?), my real problem is, how to adjust this folder with correct files? If I try to reimport in the same folder LR tell me that this is already imported. If I try to delete it the answer is the same.

The only way seems to import the files in another position... that is really uncomfortable for developing and future research.

As the problem is not in the previews, it seems completely useless to delete preview.lrdata files ecc... Is there a secret way to remove and substitute the single files in the LR db to let them work correctly?

Many thanks

Fabio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing this only in Library, or only in Develop, or in both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per

Both in library and develop mode, and also in exported JPG files, like the original one would be corrupted. But it isn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are hardware malfunctions somewhere that cause the corruption or truncation of the image.

All the attempts at deductive logic that you have done cannot negate the fact that Lightroom doesn't change the image portion of your original files.

Furthermore, you haven't considered the possibility that the corruption could be coming from the hard disk in your computer or from computer memory; and lastly I don't know for sure about Nikon Capture NX, but I believe it shows the JPG preview of the image which is often not corrupted even though the full RAW image is corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dj,

I was thinking about hardware failure too, but exactly the same copy of file (the same copy that lightroom itself has imported) is good if imported in other folder... so the file should be correctly written on the hard disk.

Also for Nikon capture NX, I do not only opened the jpg preview but the image in full size also trying to elaborate it. And, as before, always from the exact same file in the hard disk.

For these reasons, I don't think it's an hardware issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I'm running LR on good Imac with High Sierra macOS, it's really safe about the hardware failure... I hope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking, for a last try about hardware problem... I could compare the file that LR had copied to the hard disk with the original untouched one that is on memory card.
I should do a checksum or something... do you have an idea how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about hardware failure too, but exactly the same copy of file (the same copy that lightroom itself has imported) is good if imported in other folder... so the file should be correctly written on the hard disk.

None of this rules out hard disk problems or memory problems, especially if they are intermittent.

And I continue to point out that any attempt at deductive logic to find the cause must take into account the fact that Lightroom never changes the image portion of your photos. There is no such feature in the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand dj your point of view, altough it seems very strange the fact that an hardware problem during the copy can create a corrupted file while the same file reopened is ok

If the file should be corrupted during the copy on the hard disk it should be remain corrupted forever, not only at the first import of lightroom.

Anyway, an hardware issue is always possible, but I can't understand the logic of this "corruptedbutuncorrupted" raw file.

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At no time have I limited the possible places where this corruption can occur to "during the copy".

The problem could be intermittent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the answer... I hope so.

I forgot that in last weeks (probably for low space on hard disk?) LR usually crashed while importing raw files.

You're right DJ, not hardware but software problem...

I found a big number of duplicates in the original folder.

And, of course, many of the files are corrupted.

BUT inside lightroom I only see the right imported ones. LR had created bunch of files -2 -3 -4 and so on... finally using only one copy of these.

What happened is that, for some reason, few files was imported with the corrupted copy, while the uncorrupted copy stay quiet in the folder. I haven't noticed the file name with the -number append to the original name so I was going crazy thinking that the original file is uncorrupted while the one in lightroom is. Of course they are two different files! But really hard to understand what's going on, as LR started again with import without saying that two or more copies of the files was in the folder, just choosing the right one.

I think that's all, hope this can help someone else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines