Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word Docs with Images into RH7

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2009 Jan 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a large Word doc which is full of images and text that I want to import into RH7. I've tried it and tried it, even converted it to PDF and tried it, but I don't get any of the images imported. I've discovered the images folder, but there's nothing in it and, just in case they're hidden(!), I've published and still no images.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean there is nothing in it when you look via Project Manager or via Windows Explorer?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

Neither ... I have a total of 329 images in the pages I've imported. There are 27 in Explorer; none in the Project Manager. When I go to edit the page and insert an image, I select the folder and no images are displayed.

Bit stuck

Thanks,

Sian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file type of the images that did end up in Windows Explorer?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shealy1

I had the exact same problem, amongst others. Adobe Tech Support suggested the following work-around, which works:

Open the document in Word
--Press CTRL + A to select the entire document --Press CTRL + C to copy the contents of the entire document --Create a new blank Word document and paste (CTRL + V) the content from the original into this new document --Save the new document and then import it into RoboHelp.

I trust this will help

GPWriter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

They're either jpegs or emzs - I've just seen something that says that all images need to be in locked frames ... could this be the issue? If so, is there an easy way to import all my images into the project in one go, so that I don't have to go and create 329 locked frames in the Word docs and reimport them(!).

I've created .jpg and .png files of all images in the hope that I can just do a bulk import into the project ... ?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is an emzs file? New to me and Google does not seem to recognise it.

Save the Word document as an HTML file and you will find all the images in a separate folder below the location of the HTML file. Look at the image formats there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

It's a plural of .emz (sorry!) - supposedly Windows Enhanced Compressed Metafile type.

I'd already saved the file as HTML in the hope that would work, however it still didn't import them. They're all .jpg in the images folder that got created.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GPWriter,

Thanks for the advice ... unfortunately Word 2007 won't play the game - it's a very large document. I've tried with the individual docs, but that doesn't work either. Ta for replying though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific? You cannot copy and paste it all OR the idea did not make any difference when you imported?

Can you send me the source document via my site? Include a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sadly can't send the whole doc - apart from the fact that it's nearly 19 MB, it's company confidential (at the moment).

What I meant is Word doesn't like huge docs (like this one) and if I try and do too much to it, Word hangs (as per all versions of Word!). It's made up of several docs, which also didn't import piccies when I imported them one by one, so I tried one complete doc (which also didn't work). I've tried GPWriter's idea on one of the individual docs and it still doesn't work.

Can't I just import the images and then manually pin them into the relevant topics?

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can import the images one by one into your topics but I thought that was what you didn't (or wouldn't) want to do.

The point has been made to me that if Word cannot handle its own file, it is not surprising that another application cannot import it. Microsoft no longer publish a limit for Word files but when they did, it was 30mb, way more than your document.

I think in this case I would try splitting the document and importing the parts into unique projects, then when I am happy with them I would import from these projects into the main one. That or lots of backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'm guessing you're not a heavy Word user ... it's never been able to cope with documents that have more than 200 pages, especially if there are graphics involved :-))

I've got all the individual documents and have tried to do them one by one, but RH7 still doesn't import the images. Maybe RH7 isn't happy with Word 2007 docx stuff? It's messing up some of the formatting too (numbering and also weird double quotes!).

You're right, I didn't want to do them one at a time - I would have thought that RH7 would have had some kind of bulk import, but obviously not.

I'm a first time user of RH - I'd heard so many great things about it from all sorts of people, but it's not wowing me just yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I have only been using it since Word 2 days. :-)

Please don't mention the limit of 200 pages with graphics to my documents which can run to over twice that size.

I repeat the point that if Word is struggling with this particular document, you cannot expect another application to work well with the document. RH does import Word documents with many images, it is something that I have done many times. I think the problem is something to do with the image type you have chosen (emz). If you look in the image import dialog you will see that EMZ is not a listed file type.

Without being able to see your document, it is difficult to help you. Speak to your management. I regularly receive projects from people on this forum and nobody has ever had cause to complain. I would not risk losing the Adobe Community Expert status by revealing the content to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help and advice - in the end I decided to do it manually (as getting various permissions would have taken longer!).

As a general FYI, the EMZ file type was created by Robohelp when importing the Word doc, not by me, so not sure what's going on there, but my graphics are all in now

I think it has to do with whether the graphics are within frames or not - I'll try this the next time I need to create a new Word doc and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp