Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runtime error 104

Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My former manager created a helpfile using Adobe Robohelp for HTML 7. The helpfile is now off being tested on XP and Vista, and on a handful of pages (out of hundreds), runtime error message 104 is displayed.

Line: 104
Error: Expected ')'

Yes/No.

If you click No then the help page is displayed successfully, however I'd like to get rid of this bug. Looking in Robohelp, I get the same error, so am assuming it is a bug generated by Robohelp... I'm a bit new to all this, so apologies if I'm appearing stupid - any ideas how I go about resolving it?

Many thanks, Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like some javascript has been added to those files with an error in the javascript, or it could be some RH javascript has been edited in error.

There is likely something common in these pages so compare them in detail.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Another thought occurs here. By chance are you or your boss doubleclicking links? We find that sometimes folks feel the urge to rapidly double click and that action will often will cause a JavaScript error.

If this is the case, the world of HTML operates on single clicks.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys!

I've had a look at the pages and didn't see anything that separated these pages from any others - but it would be fair to say I don't really know what I am looking for.

It definitely isnt due to double clicking, so I think we can eliminate that.

I'm going to try and regenerate the primary layout on my machine to see if the problem was caused by something on my former manager's machine. If it doesn't, I found a utility on the web called regcure which I can download and it claims to fix runtime errors. I'd need the IT guys to run it in Administrator mode tho. Worth a try? Any other suggestions?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That program sounds more like something that will fix registry entries and that will not be the problem here. I would be very wary of using such a program without someone with the requisite knowledge alongside.

If you want to zip up the two files (a good one and a bad one) I will take a look for anything obvious. Send via my website and include a link to this thread.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very generous of you Peter, and much appreciated - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the following link:

Free repair from MS Windows

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Brian, that's a link to the software I mentioned earlier, which Peter warned me against using.

Thanks to Peter Grainge, we've narrowed it down to bad javascript in the How do I? links on the pages that produce the error. Have removed the link and the runtime error is gone. I just need to set up new How do I? links at a later date :-)

Best regards, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp