Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 and Lightroom CC Classic.

I am retoucher and I use Lightroom everday and this is the first time I get this error.

My client (he use Mac and Lightroom CC Classic) send me a catalog with smart previews and when I open a catalog every pictures is blank and had exclamation point with the message "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo".

He tried to send me couple of different catalog which his second retoucher can open normally but I can't neither of them.

So is it problem with my computer and Lightroom or problem is in my client exporting catalog ?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi markov,

Please compare the file size of catalogs which you received and which you are opening in Lightroom Classic CC, are the files are same in size? You may try resetting Lightroom preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Refer: Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6

Also, please refer the below discussions related to your issue and try the offered suggestions.

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo

"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit

Rar folder with catalog is 1.18GB when I export folder with a catalog on desktop it has 1.25GB so they are not same size...

Also restarting my Lightroom/Laptop doesn't help... Those article on forum are not so helpful because it's not complety the same situations as mine..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo

The photo has been corrupted somehow (possibly in the transmission from client to you, and possibly at the client's computer or by your computer), and you will not be able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, it's really frustrating because I will miss opportunity for this job...

When he exported catalog he uploaded on dropbox and that's all...

I even try on other windows 10 laptop with LR CC Classic and it's the same..... So I thought that the problem is in my client LR but then he told me that his other retoucher CAN open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this points to some corruption somewhere in the transmission to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried on 3rd Windows computer and again it doesn't work

My client says that on every Mac device he tried catalog works so the problem is in transferring from MAC to PC ....

Can Adobe somehow fix this ? I don't want to lose potential jobs for these stupid errors...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markov10664717  wrote

My client says that every Mac device catalog works so the problem is in transferring from MAC to PC ....

Can Adobe somehow fix this ?

This certainly doesn't sound to me like a problem caused by Adobe. Nevertheless, you if you believe it is a bug, file a bug report at Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue. I contacted Adobe and they said it was "fixed" but it continues to happen. They keep telling me to move it to a different location, then import the photos. But why should I have to do this every time I import? It only happens to random photos, and the photos are not corrupt.

I am on a Mac - 10.13.4. I have been having a TON off issues with Lightroom lately. Contacted adobe 5 times, and they say it's fixed, and it never is. And every time I contact them, their rep does something different for the "fix".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, all of a sudden some (not all) iPhone photos have the exclamation point and the "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" message appears. As I review the questions posted on the forum by users who have the same problem, the suggested solutions are all over the map--files are corrupted, file permissions are wrong, your hard drive has problems, you should use a different file format, you should transfer files and re-import. These suggestions are well intentioned, but none seem to have actually identified a) the source of the problem and b) a valid solution.

It seems very unlikely to me that Mac laptops and desktops have suddenly shown failures of the type suggested, it seems much more likely that Lightroom itself has an unknown and unresolved issue. I'd like to know how to report this to Adobe staff as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mikeoregon  wrote

I am having the same problem, all of a sudden some (not all) iPhone photos have the exclamation point and the "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" message appears. As I review the questions posted on the forum by users who have the same problem, the suggested solutions are all over the map--files are corrupted, file permissions are wrong, your hard drive has problems, you should use a different file format, you should transfer files and re-import. These suggestions are well intentioned, but none seem to have actually identified a) the source of the problem and b) a valid solution.

It seems very unlikely to me that Mac laptops and desktops have suddenly shown failures of the type suggested, it seems much more likely that Lightroom itself has an unknown and unresolved issue. I'd like to know how to report this to Adobe staff as a bug.

Disagree. Hard disks do go bad. Files do become corrupted. Even on computers that don't have Lightroom. Even on Mac laptops and desktops. Why is it that you say these things can't happen?

The link to report this to Adobe is given above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines