Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted cropping by Camera Raw

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm a long time Photoshop user (25 years+) so am generally very familiar with the program and its virtues and issues.

This one is baffling me: If you use the Transform>upright lines in the Camera Raw dialogue box it quickly straightens studio shots, but often crops the corners off images shot fairly close to the edge of a white canvas, whilst 'helpfully' auto-cropping the master image. This is supposed to be a professional program; why is it doing this?

I need it to return the image straightened but with the full canvas area, otherwise it's useless. Am I missing a hidden switch? I find it hard to believe anyone would design the software to randomly hack data from images, unasked.

John M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Is this happening when processing raw files, If so that would be expected behavior since there is no image until ACR creates those pixels.  Thus defining a canvas size.   Since ACR was originaly created for that purpose only and has more receintly been added as a filter, I suspect it doesn't share the same PS canvas.  

Bob

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, thank for engaging Bob… 

As an end-user, the subtleties of this are lost on me. If you crop in ACR you can ask the software to ‘Preserved cropped pixels’ in the created/delivered image. Where is the difference? I’m not asking the software to make up pixels missing from the original image, simply to deliver them to me.

The bottom line is that this looks to me like a potentially useful feature, rendered useless by a couple of lines of bad coding. If the data is there, why randomly crop it out?  Just add a radio button saying Fit to screen or Preserve data. I’m happy to assume I may be missing something, but if I am it’s unnecessarily cryptic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, 

Are you using ACR as a filter for studio shots or are you using it as a Raw File Processor?

Thanks,

Bob

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just using as part of my normal workflow to process files from professional studio photo-shoot Bob.

The issue would be the same if you were straightening any file up really.

Most of the work I do (technical engineering, biomed, scientific stuff...) is shot and vector cut as part of my normal post-production. Clearly I can do what I have always done and skew-correct images in Photoshop. The bigger issue is whether I'm missing something (quite possible) or whether Adobe have just designed this ACR feature in with an unnecessary bug. Professionally, I - and most users -don't want data cut out of images at the first pass;  this makes no sense at all.

If I know this is an issue and want to use the feature - which is frankly quite useful as it cuts out an unnecessary step in Photoshop - I can shoot looser to allow for the auto-crop. It needs flagging though.

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I guess, I have to ask this again Jim.  So ACR can be used 2 ways. 

The first is as it's primary purpose, a Raw file processor.  This tool creates the pixels from the raw files the camera shoots.

So if your shooting jpgs then the Raw File processor is not being used but your only using ACR as a filter inside of PS.

Thanks,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you've lost me a bit there Bob.

I'm shooting RAW files - Canon 5D MkIV in this case - offloading them with a card reader to studio wrorkstation, importing them into ACR and running them through to 16-bit PSDs.

I stopped using JPEGs 15 years ago.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John,

Yes that’s the Raw file workflow so in a raw file we have just sensor data and decide what pixels to write to the file After raw file conversion. Sadly this means nothing yet in regards to pixels kept on the canvas outside of the normal image crop.  So when ACR completes it’s conversion to pixels there is a format that has the potential to do what you prefer, which is to keep all image pixels.  But before those pixels are create, the only option available to ACR is  resolution, rendered bit depth, color space and image res ( pixels per inch or CM) .

It it sure would be nice though to allow for those extra pixels to be kept.

Thanks

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks for taking the time to understand the issue I'm on about. It's not just me then?!

Are you close enough to the development team that I can assume this issue is flagged and fixed at some point Bob? It must be do-able.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with the beta team, so I’ll add this to their list and see if we can get some traction John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bless you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines