• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D text issues upon using "split mesh"

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to use a workflow that worked very well in the past.

To make 3d text I extrude after typing out my text, do all the beveling and inflation, then hit split extrusion, and export as collada into my 3d software (Lightwave 2018)

Having started my latest project, this doesn't work anymore because now the text gets mislabeled and upon import letters are missing.

I contacted NewTek's customer support and they assured me the collada imports the same in LW2018, 2015 and Modo, so the issue seems to be with splitting the extrusion in PS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Hi

Make sure that you are using the latest version (19.1 r238) released this week. If the problem still happens you can raise a bug via this link - giving as much detail as you can - including your system details

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have just checked in Photoshop CC2018 with the text "ABC". Quickly adding a bevel and colours then splitting the extrusion, moving the middle letter up, and exporting to the Collada (dae) format.

I then closed the document and used File Open in Photoshop to open the Collada file - which opened the model without issue.

Have you tried re-opening in Photoshop as a test?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that because the problem is happening before I export, I can see that the letter models are mislabeled upon hitting "split extrusion".

It's good to know that it's working in some respect, but I need to narrow down what's causing it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That does not sound normal - while you replied I just opened the same dae model in Cinema 4D (via After Effects) and it also opened OK there.

If it worked earlier and has just started happening I would try a Preference reset. Preferences (which cover far more than the user preferences) are saved every time Photoshop closes and can get corrupted and lead to various anomalies. It would be good to rule that out.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and It didn't work.  Letters are still mislabeled and have duplicate names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other ideas? I'm reinstalling Photoshop, but I have no idea what to do if that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work after reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Make sure that you are using the latest version (19.1 r238) released this week. If the problem still happens you can raise a bug via this link - giving as much detail as you can - including your system details

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What is the typeface you are using? I have found a similar case that happens and will log a report for that instance. I can add you details to the report as well.

I'm also using macOS, 10.13. I haven't tried this on Win10 yet. What OS are you using?

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Futura PT and it's a windows 10 system, i can give more details if you need them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines