Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get off your *** and fix the UI upscale for 4k Cintiq Pro Screens

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, you're so pathetic.

Creative Suite (and specifically PS) is the ONLY creative program that doesn't properly upscale it's UI for my new Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 screen in 4k.

This, along with a history of poor testing before release is FORCING me to find other programs as alternatives to Creative Suite, oh and those programs are usually 1/10th of the cost or free.

You need to figure it out quick or you're be looking for work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Hi

Are you using Photoshop 19.1.0 r.238  which was released earlier this week (check in Help > System info)?.

The reason I ask is that with that new version, and the Windows fall creators update,  setting the UI scaling to 200% or 100% in Preferences does nothing at all.  The scaling is  picked up from the Windows settings and the preferences setting is ignored. I am therefore puzzled that you are seeing changes when you use it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 and earlier are End Of Life, and Adobe is NOT going to go back and upgrade an EOL program

Venting in this public forum is fine, but do not expect an answer, or an update, from Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

This is not for CS6, this is for CC (current version).

I think that I'm expressing what a lot of other people are feeling right now.

There is ZERO reason why PS isn't properly configured to work with the new 4k Cintiqs when Adobe and Wacom partner so closely together. Meanwhile, my 4 year old, $49 version of Manga Studio upscales the UI just fine.

If Adobe doesn't feel compelled to justify the inflated price of their software products with proper testing at rollout and continued updates, then that's on them. But, they don't have a stranglehold on the creative industry anymore, and there a lot of alternates popping up.

Or, they could just patch the UI for 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your problem appears to be Photoshop, moving to Photoshop Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200% UI scaling has been available since CC2014. It's under Preferences > Interface.

The new incremental UI scaling (25% increments) automatically picks up the setting in Windows. It requires Windows 10 Creators Update, it doesn't work on Win 7 or 8.

Do none of these work? Please provide specific details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D Fosse, but I have tried that and this is why I'm frustrated...

If I scale up in Photoshop Preferences to 200% as you recommend [1] it then keeps the upscale of 200% if I move PS to my other monitor (kinda annoying) but [2] (and much worse) the upscaled UI doesn't effect drop-down menus and icons in Photoshop which renders this option as useless.

In contrast, if I move Zbrush or Manga studio from one monitor to the next they automatically scale, so it's in the programming of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you using Photoshop 19.1.0 r.238  which was released earlier this week (check in Help > System info)?.

The reason I ask is that with that new version, and the Windows fall creators update,  setting the UI scaling to 200% or 100% in Preferences does nothing at all.  The scaling is  picked up from the Windows settings and the preferences setting is ignored. I am therefore puzzled that you are seeing changes when you use it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on r.190. I'm doing the update now, and will let you know.

As for the incremental Ui upscale ( I thought it was in the PS UI), yes my Windows 10 display settings are auto upscale to 300% on my Wacom Cintiq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davecm,

The update to r.238 worked. Now everything scales as it should.

Thank you Dave, and everyone else who helped.

But I still think that this should have been a priority fix for Adobe AT LEAST since Windows 10 Creator Update was rolled out, but more realistically since the Cintiq Pro 16 was released last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MDMND  wrote

But I still think that this should have been a priority fix for Adobe AT LEAST since Windows 10 Creator Update was rolled out, but more realistically since the Cintiq Pro 16 was released last year.

It has been a priority for much longer than that.

The special problem for Photoshop is that, as a pixel-based raster editor, it has to scale the UI while maintaining independent scaling for the image window. It can't scale up with the rest of the UI. 100% still has to mean one image pixel = one screen pixel.

To a vector-based application this problem doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand the challenges that is faced with a pixel-dependent program like PS. But this is a COP-OUT.

Manga Studio is also a pixel-based program that scaled the UI and does it without an update. So does Krita...these programs are all less than $100.

Also, PS did have UI scaling already built into it before r.238 (preferences / interface / 100%, 200%), it just didn't work. It didn't upscale the drop-down menus or the icons, rendering it worthless for 4k.

Also, the image window is ALREADY programmed independent of the UI, that's why you're able to zoom in and out of your canvas, move it to other monitors (as it scales up and down dependent on the size of that monitor's pixels), and create different projects at different resolutions that doesn't change the size of the UI - smh. SO this has zero current bearing on why PS couldn't scale their UI properly.

These 3 reasons I've just highlighted show that Adobe did not properly give this fix a PRIORITY. - mic drop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean of incremental UI upscaling.

Can you please provide steps in using this feature. I currently am running Windows 10 Creator Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MDMND  wrote

I don't know what you mean of incremental UI upscaling.

Can you please provide steps in using this feature. I currently am running Windows 10 Creator Update.

Windows 10 : Settings > System > Display >Scale and Layout

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if he's on CC as he says, there should be no need for that.

Unless he's expecting the image to scale up with the UI, which of course it shouldn't. Hard to say without more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake. I thought he was running the older CS from the first message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using windows 10 creator addition the OS allows for monitor scaling from 100% to 400% and should take care of your PS workspace UI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbm007,

Thanks for your input on this. But I have Windows 10 Creator Update and my Wacom is auto upscaled to 300 by the OS, however, this doesn't affect Adobe (part of my frustration).

To further add to this problem, is if I scale up in Photoshop Preferences to 200% as D fosse recommends [1] it then keeps the upscale of 200% if I move the PS to my other monitor (kinda annoying) but [2] (and much worse) the upscaled UI doesn't effect drop-down menus and icons in Photoshop which renders this option as useless.

In contrast, if I move Zbrush or Manga studio from one monitor to the next they automatically scale, so it's in the programming of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines