Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Refine tool don't works properly

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The tool "refine" don't work properly. I update my photoshop today and the result is the same.

When I make a selection and I use the refine tool through "select & mask", I can't have the right result, almost the contrary.

I tried to use different pictures with more contrast or different subject (hair, fur,...) without success.

Can you help me please ?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have most success using the refine edge tool in select and mask as follows.

1. Keep the refine edge brush small, I tend to use 10-20px

2. I also set 100% hardness and 1% spacing.

3. I tend to keep smart radius off and only use it if problems occur

4. Brush only onto edges - do not brush into the main image. You can use "Show edges" to check where you are asking refine edge to operate.

5. Use refine edge only on soft edges such as hair/fur - not on hard edges

6. Where possible have the image that you want as the new background in place whilst masking. That way you only carry out the mask refinement needed by the new background

I hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your tips and workflow, but unfortunately it doesn't works for me... less damages indeed but due to your meticulous way of work.

We are very far that the demo I saw on Adobe website or on some youtube videos.

But thank you for your support, hope that someone  know what will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Results from refine edge are very dependent on the image you are using. Tutorials are almost always demonstrated on ideal images, not challenging ones. If you want help that is specific to your image, you could share it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I assume that the tutorials are using ideal images.

But I tried with several different pictures, some of them not "challenging" at all.

But I will share some example "tonight" (at the french hours...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. Post the 'before' image at a reasonably high resolution along with a second image of the background that you are trying to place the masked image onto. The forum allows direct posting of image files up to 8MB or you can link to Dropbox or similar.

We may be able to show good settings for refine edge or suggest an alternative method of producing a mask.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sooner that expected, 2 pictures just for example.

I have no background selected right now, I'm just trying to use correctly this tool.

Maybe you can do better than me.

_DSC1496.jpg

_DSC1604.jpg

Thanks both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines