• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent writing metadata changes to jpg-files

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use FotoWeb 8.0 by Fotoware.no as our DAM solution.

They provide a Mac client to do batch changes of about anything with the pictures, eg. changing and updating keywords.

The files are stored on a servers dedicated folder, so I am able to connect Lightroom to this folder.

When using Lightroom I do not need the vendors client to make changes, except I cannot figure out how NOT to write changes to keywords to the picture file itself. We mostly have jpg-files. This also changes the films changed/updated date which in turn makes an unwanted change in the sort order.

I can do fine writing all metadata ONLY to the XMP sidecar file

This is the link to our DAM: https://bildebank.ostfoldfk.no.

Regards

PÃ¥l Engh

Østfold County administration

NORWAY

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Is there a way to prevent writing directly to the JPG-file - thus forcing changes to an XMP file?

Unfortunately not. 

The only option you have is to write metadata changes directly into the JPEG or not at all (storing them in the catalog only). This is true for all non-proprietary-raws: JPEG, TIFF, PNG, DNG, PSD. 

The command Metadata > Save Metadata To File writes the metadata manually, while the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP does it automatically.

Over

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how NOT to write changes to keywords to the picture file itself.

1) In the Import dialog, [Apply during Import] set Metadata to "None"

2) In Preferences turn off the option to "Automatically write metadata to photos".

If Lightroom is asked to write metadata to JPG files (by Auto or  Ctrl+S ) then the metadata is embedded within the JPG file. It is not written to an XMP file.  Lightroom will only use a sidecar XMP file for raw files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sorting this out.

Mer do not, however, actually import photos, but rather update current folder, which hosts the photos on the FotoWare server.

The current metadata resides (I assume) inside the files from start... So in order to fetch them to LR I seems to be essential to import them as opposed to your recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the current folder is just a different way to do an import. There's no difference in how the metadata is handled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to prevent writing directly to the JPG-file - thus forcing changes to an XMP file?

My problem is when writing changes the photo file, the change date of the file also changes changing the sort order in the archive.

The Vendor´s Mac client writes directly to the backend database, leaving the file unchanged. So I want to do the same, but using Lightroom instead of the FotoWare FotoStation Pro. !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately not. 

The only option you have is to write metadata changes directly into the JPEG or not at all (storing them in the catalog only). This is true for all non-proprietary-raws: JPEG, TIFF, PNG, DNG, PSD. 

The command Metadata > Save Metadata To File writes the metadata manually, while the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP does it automatically.

Over the years, a number of people have asked for the option to use .xmp sidecars for non-raws, but in my opinion it is very unlikely Adobe will ever implement it. They've stated publicly that going forward with LR Classic, they're focusing on develop tools and performance, so whatever efforts they were formerly putting into Library will be further reduced.

See Lightroom/Camera Raw: Store the xmp metadata outside DNG, jpeg etc file to be backup efficient | Pho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines