• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Did You Upgrade Your OS?

Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent security concerns make us think that everyone is rushing to get the latest operating system (OS) upgrade, but that’s hardly the case. That surprised us. Between Apple and Microsoft, we sometimes see new versions released as fast as every week or two, when security issues exist.

There was a time when Mac owners rushed out and adopted the latest OS. By year’s end, StatCounter was reporting that worldwide, 26.42% of Mac users adopted the High Sierra (10.13) and 29.61% were back on the previous version, Sierra (10.12), with 20.64% on El Capitan (10.11). That tells us that 76.67% of the Macs in the world, according to StatCounter, have bought into an OS update since September 2015.

But, that’s the whole wide world. How about North America? Here on Apple’s home turf, it’s actually a little less: 75.94% with quite a few less for High Sierra: 23.15%.

Okay. That’s Mac. How about Windows 10? That was released a few weeks before macOS El Capitan, in 2015. Worldwide, by year’s end, 41.69% of Windows users made the jump to 10, with 41.89% still on Windows 7, which was initially released in 2009 and mainstream support for 7 stopped 3 years ago, last week.

North Americans are keeping up with Windows 10 a little better than the rest of the world. Here on Microsoft HQ’s continent, 48.13% have move to version 10.

So, what does all of this mean? The updates are free. Are some users lazy?

Well, that’s not always the case. Though we’re not sure why some users choose not to upgrade, we know some people who feel a new OS could be buggy. And, yes, in the enterprise world, big corporations and government agencies do testing before they upgrade. In other cases, the end user’s hardware has some age and cannot be updated.

Then, many inexpensive PCs do not ship with Windows 10. So, new computers ship with an old OS, which might not upgrade. (Sounds obscene, huh?)

Then, there’s always the theft of intellectual property. There are places in the world which are not concerned about enforcing intellectual property laws, so computers are sold with a stolen OS. (Definitely obscene.) In those cases, if the user goes to update their operating system, the update cannot happen. You get what you pay for (or don’t pay for).

Our advise? Be smart. Be safe. Keep your OS up to date:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Erik+Lord  wrote

I don't really blame either side when it comes to things breaking like this.

We don't either, Erik, mainly because we have no idea who to blame.

In the early Mac days (1985 to 1993) Janet & I had a regular parade of studio owners coming through our studio asking a plethora of technical questions. We'd frequently hear, "We got the upgrade to ___ (insert name of Adobe app) ____ and now the ___ (insert name of feature) ____ won't work." Better than 90%

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

So, what does all of this mean? The updates are free. Are some users lazy?

ask the Mac users that upgraded to Sierra only to find their software doesn't work anymore,

the Windows 10 users that find their "my documents" folder mested up after the last patch put them back on the C drive (without asking) and buggered up the links,

the Adobe Muse users that had to redo their sites just before Max,

the Windows 7 users that Microsoft lied to about their hardware being Windows 10 compatible,

the Windows XP users that assumed a service patch from Microsoft must do something more than just slow their network down so Vista can keep up

I agree you get what you pay for, free updates = use at your own risk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

ask the Mac users that upgraded to Sierra only to find their software doesn't work anymore,

You're referring to High Sierra, maybe? That macOS 10.13.2, the latest.

Without a doubt, it created some problems—no awful, for us, but just the same, problems. Most of the industry suppliers, including Apple are aware of them, we're told. But that doesn't mean they are fully fixed.

As mentioned, in another Adobe Lounge thread, you have to be your own IT professional and explore the situation before diving in head first. So, just as we mentioned that enterprise users run tests before committing to upgrading many installations, mom and pop shops have to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and no

when Microsoft tells windows users they MUST update now and disable other options or Adobe removes the opportunity to roll back to a stable release they are at fault

bug's are fact of life but taking away opt out makes it impossible for clients to fix issues on their own

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

when Microsoft tells windows users they MUST update now and disable other options or Adobe removes the opportunity to roll back to a stable release they are at fault

Could you please provide some evidence of Microsoft telling users that they "MUST update now"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Screenshot (570).png

Microsoft allows you to "look now" or set a time of day as the two advanced options... there is not a opt out so the only way to stop auto-updates is to disable the update service all together witch stops all updates and disables some apps talking to the Microsoft store so that isn't ideal but it is the only sure way to stop them

the Muse case was just bad timing that the new build was busted and they removed the old one from the server... if people could have just redownloaded their old Muse version then it would not have been the massive upset that is was and I want to be clear, that Adobe did wake up to their mistake and made a special download server option for people to get the old files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Screenshot (570).png

…the only way to stop auto-updates is to disable the update service…

Thank you for posting this. I did not want people to read this thread and think, "I HAVE TO update Windows 10! Then I'm not going to…"

Since many users let their OS automatically do updates, we don't want anyone to think there's no way out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

the Adobe Muse users that had to redo their sites just before Max,

We do recall something unfortunate happening to our fellow Muse users. Was that determined to be an Apple or Microsoft OS issue?

We may have remembered it incorrectly. That wasn't an Adobe issue?

In either case, that's another situation where mom and pop shops need to try to isolate a computer, and do some testing when there are major version upgrades of mission critical apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

the Windows 7 users that Microsoft lied to about their hardware being Windows 10 compatible,

Janet & I come from a world of big media companies or public higher education installations where there's an effort to standardize.

So in a Windows environment, when a HP all-in-one and HP off the shelf laptop is being upgraded, the results are very dependable.

We used to build our own PCs and we were pretty good at it. We still do some occasional consulting for buddies who need advise. But, we don't build stuff anymore and don't profess to being able to spec PC towers.

Here's why: some very unfortunate custom configurations are difficult to determine what will happen with a Windows OS or how some cards and apps may collide.

I don't know the specific situation you're speaking about, but when the first version of Windows 10 shipped, Janet & I were delighted. It was very Apple friendly and opened the door to a more full technology ecosystem. But, admittedly, when we read Microsoft's upgrade specs, we cringed.

We don't think Microsoft lied. The situation just opened the door to too many things which could go wrong, and unfortunately not everything was a smooth transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

the Windows 10 users that find their "my documents" folder mested up after the last patch put them back on the C drive (without asking) and buggered up the links,

That's from the Windows 10 pubic release from earlier this month?

Has Microsoft acknowledged it or is it primarily Internet conversation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not looking to dig up dirt, the examples are people that didn't upgrade kept their systems running well (or better) than the people that allowed upgrades... Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and Samsung are large companies that work on volume profit margins

Great new products at affordable prices but limited testing...

A4-Look-Beofre-you-Leap-1-300x148.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgrade as little as I can, usually when it's required by a newer version of an Adobe software.
I used Mavericks until the release of CC 2018, which forced me to install El Capitan.

Why ? Because I do not like to see my computer slow down…

On the other hand, I always do the security updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

I used Mavericks until the release of CC 2018, which forced me to install El Capitan.

On the other hand, I always do the security updates.

We included El Capitan (10.11) in our upgrade research since it was 1.) the same age as Windows 10 and 2.) some computer hardware cannot upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra. That probably has something to do with why around 20%  of Macs are still running 10.11.

What we did not learn is if Apple is applying the security updates to that OS. Is Apple still sending you new security patches, JR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Adobe, Apple sends updates for supported OSs and software, but not for unsupported (older) OSs and software.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple has never updated an old OS not supported against major new dangers (ransomwares…).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

Like Adobe, Apple sends updates for supported OSs and software, but not for unsupported (older) OSs and software.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple has never updated an old OS not supported against major new dangers (ransomwares…).

We have some iOS devices which Apple no longer supports (and we need to replace and gift to kids we love).

There was some Windows 10 issue (I forget what it was) which the original Windows 10 adopters had to upgrade to the new version to get the security advantages. It made sense that there were layers upon layers of updates which Microsoft couldn't successfully drill down to and fix.

So, are you saying that Apple is offering security updates to El Capitan or do you have to at least go to Sierra to get those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft's policies are very clear and well published. Windows 7 receives full security support and updates for every threat (including meltdown or whatever they were called). They also publish a time horizon for such support (can't recall what it is for Win7).

Windows Vista is dropped. No more updates, and you're on your own. That was also published well in advance.

The problem with Apple is their (seemingly deliberate) lack of backwards compatibility. They keep changing the rules. People can't update the OS, because their trusted software stops working if they do. This is much less of a problem on Windows, where you can basically run anything on any OS version. I still have a program from 2006 running under Win 10 - not a critical one, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Microsoft's policies are very clear and well published. Windows 7 receives full security support and updates for every threat (including meltdown or whatever they were called). They also publish a time horizon for such support (can't recall what it is for Win7).

Thank you. You are 100% correct.

What Microsoft calls "Mainstream Support" is over but those big enterprise contract continue into 2020 (I think… something like that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

The problem with Apple is their (seemingly deliberate) lack of backwards compatibility.

A big discussion point at the 2017 Microsoft Developers Conference was about the "technology ecosystem."

If that is to happen, the like of Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Canon, Cisco, Epson, HP, Nikon, Sony, Wacom, etc. MUST rethink a few things.

It's what the enterprise users (big and small) expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Captivate is not one of Adobe's Big Products, it seems.

And it still doesn't work properly on High Sierra.

There are no patches listed on the CP patch site for 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Captivate is not one of Adobe's Big Products, it seems.

And it still doesn't work properly on High Sierra.

There are no patches listed on the CP patch site for 2017.

There had been some discussion about Captivate being added to CC but that may not have been the fit that Adobe was looking for. (We get that.)

What about it doesn't work with High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing responsive projects results in non-working...projects. It seems related to the playback bar/skins.

There is a hot fix Adobe has released, but it's not 'official' and folks have to post the problem and hope someone replies with the link (or, of course, they could search ).

If you search for Adobe Captivate High Sierra, you'll see the volume of posted concerns.

Since the hot fix has been available since...September (?) I'm not sure why there's still not yet an official update.

At any rate, to the topic and CP aside, this is certainly one reason I do not install major updates promptly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing responsive projects results in non-working...projects. It seems related to the playback bar/skins.

Things like this can fascinating issues. It's not always easy for the end user to know the source of the problem.

In this case, the user updated their OS and now an Adobe app has a problem.

Adobe is very involved in developing for Apple and Microsoft OS. So, when a new OS is released is Adobe and all the other developers ready with fully tested new versions of their apps?

All the end users know is that something doesn't work. But, did Apple break the ability for the app to function or did Adobe fail to make the required changes to the app so it works with the latest OS?

By way of example, there was a time when Apple announced that option + command + d would hide or reveal the Mac's dock. Photoshop had that key combination for something (I forget what) and it took a little while for the Photoshop team to assign that functionality to a new keyboard short cut combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS vendor has every right to release new features, and while it would be nice they surely can't test all software.

The software vendors often have to react, which is unfortunate but understandable.

However, where they could improve in many cases is timeliness.

The Captivate example is perfect - why is this still a 'hot fix' and not an official update?

Meh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't either, Erik, mainly because we have no idea who to blame.

In the early Mac days (1985 to 1993) Janet & I had a regular parade of studio owners coming through our studio asking a plethora of technical questions. We'd frequently hear, "We got the upgrade to ___ (insert name of Adobe app) ____ and now the ___ (insert name of feature) ____ won't work." Better than 90% of the time they had a 3rd party plug-in which needed to be updated but no update had been made available.

The point is that the end user launched a new version of an Adobe app, something didn't work, it's Adobe's fault.

If we told people to disable a favorite filter or how type was displayed, we had the wrong answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm concerned, there is no upside to upgrading OSs until I buy a new machine.  That goes for my tablet, phone, laptop and desktops.  Back in the day, my Windows machines were all optimized for the OS they came with.  And attempts at upgrades were about as pleasant as a 3 hour root canal so I stopped doing it.  Unless there is a very compelling reason not to, I keep the same OS for the life of my machine.

That said however, I maintain my OSs with the latest updates and security patches.  One would have to be stupid not to.  But that's a far cry from jumping on the latest OS  the week it releases and then crying crocodile tears because it broke your software.   I don't know why people do it.  But that's their cross to bear.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines