• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does this backup (redundant storage) process make sense?

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom catalog and photos are on an external drive with no current backups. I purchased another external drive and am planning to copy the full contents of my current external drive (drag and drop on Mac). Going forward, my plan is to use the program GoodSync to periodically (often) sync the 2 external drives so that the second/backup drive is up-to-date with my current external drive mapped to Lightroom for my work. Am I missing anything? Does this make sense?

I plan to stay with Lightroom CC Classic, but haven't done the most recent updates, as I want to be sure I have a complete backup before the updates. I've taken too many chances already with no backups!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to use the built-in Lightroom catalog backup function, and store the backup on your original external drive. Then GoodSync will copy it to the other drive.

The reason you want to use the built-in LIghtroom catalog backup function is that there is a check-box for checking the integrity of the catalog. This can prevent errors in the long run. Also, in the case where you are not using the built-in catalog backup and the catalog file would fail that integrity check, you could still make a backup of this catalog but it would be useless, as if you had no backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I do have the catalog backed up by Lightroom weekly. All those backups are on the original external hard drive with the catalog and photos. Are you saying that Goodsync will copy the entire contents of my original hard drive directly from that hard drive, without my having to copy it over to the new, back up hard drive first? I admit I don’t really know much about that software other than I saw it recommended in a Tim Grey video!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a similar workflow on a Mac using SuperDuper to clone my original disc1 to a matching disc2.  I keep the working copy of my catalog on my computer internal HD with Lightroom making periodic catalog backups to disc1.  I don't have any experience with GoodSync, but assuming it is similar to most clone apps, it should be able to make the initial backup to disc2 without your having to copy the files manually.  After the initial backup, which can take a while, the following backups should be incremental and take only a short time to complete.

While this backup scheme is good to prevent loss due to a disc failure, it will not protect against a house fire, flood, etc.  You would need a cloud backup for that event, or have a disc3 which you keep somewhere away from your house, such as at work or in a safe-deposit box; however this becomes cumbersome if you want to back up often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - thanks. I’ll get the backup started and hope I don’t run into any issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jsopoci  wrote

Are you saying that Goodsync will copy the entire contents of my original hard drive directly from that hard drive, without my having to copy it over to the new, back up hard drive first? I admit I don’t really know much about that software other than I saw it recommended in a Tim Grey video!

I never used Goodsync, so you will have to answer that question yourself. Give it a try and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines