• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 - Changing the default to the 32bit version?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Adobe Photoshop CS5 on a windows PC.

During the installation two separate versions of Photoshop CS5, one a 32bit and the other is a 64bit have been installed.  It appears that the default version is the 64bit version, is there a way to change the default to the 32bit, this is because my scanner's twain will only work on 32bit versions.

I have tried to change the "Open with - Choose default program - Always use the selected program to open this kind of file - ticked> Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Browsed to> Program Files (x86)> Adobe> Adobe Photoshop CS5> Photoshop.exe"

This method does not work, images still open with the Photoshop 64bit version.  So is there another method that can be used?

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have desktop icons for each version labeled accordingly, and launch the 32 bit version as and when you need it.  I think CS5 was the last version of Photoshop to support Twain drivers as they were found too problematic.  The Twain driver simply opens the software that came with the scanner, so there is no hardship in launching the scanner software outside of Photoshop, and dragging in the scanned image file.

[EDIT]  Just a thought, but how much RAM can the 32 bit version of Photoshop access on your computer?  Less than 4Gb for sure, and that really isn't enough.  Photoshop started getting hungry for RAM with CS4, and Adobe don't even provide a 32 bit version now because there simply wouldn't be enough memory for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can open Bridge from the Menu Bar inside each version and the image will then open in that version automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines