• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing corrupted photos from library

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a hdd crash and let professionals restore it. They managed to save 80% of the images. But now i really need to remove those 20% of just blank out images with the black exclamation mark on it. They are sitting there like dark sad reminders of all the photos i've lost. Is there a way to bulk remove all damaged images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

If you see blank previews, but not marked as 'missing', there is no automatic way of filtering for the problem files.

There remains the possibility that your Previews cache has become corrupted, hence showing blank images, or the 'Professional Restore' has corrupted some files.

It may help to let Lightroom re-build the Previews.

Details to do this can be found at-  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-says-preview-cache-corrupted-fix/

(Do NOT delete your catalog file   xxxx.LRCAT )

Failing a Prev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest-

1) Go Menu > Library > Find all Missing Photos

2) Select all  [Ctrl+A]

3) Visually scroll through and check that these are the previews you want to delete.

4) press [Delete] and [Remove]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks WobertC. 3134 images gone. Broke my heart seeing the empty five stars ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn! Spoke too soon. There is still blank images in the library. When i click the black exclamation mark it says

"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo"

Any way to single these ones out too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you see blank previews, but not marked as 'missing', there is no automatic way of filtering for the problem files.

There remains the possibility that your Previews cache has become corrupted, hence showing blank images, or the 'Professional Restore' has corrupted some files.

It may help to let Lightroom re-build the Previews.

Details to do this can be found at-  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-says-preview-cache-corrupted-fix/

(Do NOT delete your catalog file   xxxx.LRCAT )

Failing a Preview re-build, it might just have to be a visual selection of problem previews and choose to [Remove] them from the catalog (if possible!). Do not [Delete from disk] as you may be able to try and Import them again if the originals are by some luck OK.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are actual files in the file explorer. They are just corrupted. So rebuilding did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Time passes since your first post!

Can you make a screen-clip of the Library Grid, and post here, so we see how the thumbnails appear in the Lr Catalog?

Did "Remove" from the Catalog work for the problem previews?   {  Select image > press [Delete] > choose [Remove]  }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry about the stalling.

Manually removing them do work. Would just take crazy amount of time. Would be nice to be able to sort them by "damaged"

lightroom.png

One intact file. One half damaged and one totally damaged.

files.png

The files in just a normal window (the checkmark is just my backup)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I see your problem- Manually deleting many files will take time.

But still no "automatic" way to filter the corrupt images that I know about.

A suggestion- To speed up the deleting, you could-

1) Show All Photographs (selected in the 'Catalog' panel)

2) Pick up the Paint Can and set it to "Flag- Rejected"

ScreenShot043.jpg

3) Squirt the can on every file you see in the Grid view that is corrupted. 'Click and drag' over contiguous photos.

4) Then use [Ctrl+BackSpace] (or Menu>Photo>Delete Rejected Photos)  to delete all rejected photos.

I am curious seeing that your recovered files are JPG, do you not shoot raw?

Do you not have backups of all your photos on another 'backup' hard-drive? Or is this a lesson learnt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines