Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC2018 no Text anymore - empty layer

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

since the last Upgrade (19.0) I can't do any Text.

I can select the Text Tool and write something, but there is no Text in the Layer. In the Layer-Menu the Text shows up as layerName, but there is nothing.

If I try to select the layer and hit command-t I get an error: Cannot transform Object, because the layer is empty. So there seems to be really no text…

Am I alone?

cheers - Michael

Update: I've seen, that CC2018 should be Version 19.1. So I guessed, that something went wrong with the Update-Process. Indeed: In the Desktop app there was still an upgradeOption for PS. So I did the Upgrade an it now shows 19.1.0 . But the the Text-Behaviour is still the same!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

All settings are correct. After more than 20Y with PS the first thing u do is to check all that.

But even with e.g. black font on black ground the transformationTool should have something to transform, should't it?

In the meantime I found a solution:

I opened an old Doc with FontLayers and duplicated the Font Layer in a new Doc, where the Font ist not working. In the dubbed layer everthing is normal. (For u I doublechecked the settings in the FontMenu twice - they are exactly the same (based on a C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Character, Options Bar, …) visible?

What. are the Type Size, Color and the file’s resolution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All settings are correct. After more than 20Y with PS the first thing u do is to check all that.

But even with e.g. black font on black ground the transformationTool should have something to transform, should't it?

In the meantime I found a solution:

I opened an old Doc with FontLayers and duplicated the Font Layer in a new Doc, where the Font ist not working. In the dubbed layer everthing is normal. (For u I doublechecked the settings in the FontMenu twice - they are exactly the same (based on a CC-Library Preset)). If I now add new TextLayers everything went back to normal. Strange, isn't it. Don't know, where it came from.

Cheers - Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop by default features no Tool called »Transformation Tool«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my PS, if I hit Commant-T I get the Free Transformation Tool. I don't know how u call it and whether u use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think terminology matters and invoking a free transformation does not mean there is a »Transformation Tool«.

I could find no mention of such a Tool in »photoshop_reference_CC2017.pdf«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said: Call it as you like. I don't mind.

All experienced Ps Users, that I know, knows exactly what I ment.

That's »RealLife_reference_.nopdf« and it's splitting hairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All experienced Ps Users, that I know, knows exactly what I ment.

In Photoshop certain things are called »Tools«, others are not.

If you insist on calling things by something other than their name you may get by well enough but you might also run into problems at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't experienced any Problems the past 20 Years. Seems not to be a big Issue.

And I stop here now, because I've no intention to become a top Contributor here. I have real Jobs toDo.

Cheers - M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I stop here now

Would you not like to mention a third time how many years of experience with Photoshop (or whatever you might be inclined to call it) you have? Maybe someone will be impressed after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you bypassed the problem, but I think I found out what caused it. I encountered the same issue and when I checked the Paragraph tab, the values for indentation were some huge numbers. I don't know how they came to be that way, but I set them back to 0 pt and everything came back to normal. Also, check the baseline shift, that could also be set to some ridiculous value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Will verify that for asap. Cheers Michael.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines