• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 Crashing after pen tool use

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a project all day that requires heavy use of the pen tool and shapes made from the pen tool.  After I make a few shapes with the pen tool my program crashes.. I'm talking about alllllllll day long.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem still persists.  I have a copy of the crash log, but it is quiet long.. here is the beginning, if more of the report is needed please let me know.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE AdobeCrashReport SYSTEM "AdobeCrashReporter.dtd">

<crashreport serviceVersion="1.6.3" clientVersion="1.6.3" applicationName="Adobe Photoshop CC" applicationVersion="19.1.0" build="20180116.r.238">

<time year="2018" month="1" day="24" hour="15" minute="10" second="18"/>

<user guid="0b555226-db0f-42e9-8c95-388a07e34d6a"/>

<system platform="Windows 7 Professional" osversion="6.1" osbuild="7601" applicationlanguage="en-us" userlanguage="en-US" oslanguage="en-US" ram="16056" machine="Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz" model="Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3" cpuCount="4" cpuType="8664" cpuFreq="2400 MHz"/>

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" instruction="0x000007FEBF3E65A0">

<backtrace crashedThread="0">

<thread index="0">

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Hi All,

Please update Photoshop to 19.1.1 version which includes the fix for "Photoshop CC 2018 crashes while using Pen/Magnetic Lasso Tool.

Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

To update Photoshop CC to 19.1.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something you can try.

R-click the PS icon and bring up the properties menu and select "compatibility"

Select "run as administrator"  and try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried running as admin earlier, without going into the compatibility option, and it didn't help.  Currently, I am ridding my work PC of all Adobe products and trying a "fresh install".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you try it with no add on apps or extensions first.

You also may want to check to see that your C ++ redistributeable files from Microsoft are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running Photoshop completely stock without any add ons or extensions and the PC with the issues was completely up to date. Now my PC at home is doing the same thing. It worked absolutely fine yesterday.. Is it something wrong with my subscription, perhaps? I did just update my at home version 5 mins ago, maybe is it's the new update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope...it doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issues since installing version Version: 19.1.0 20180116.r.238

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night at home, I put 19.0 back on my system instead of 19.1 and it literally took care of all my issues.  I'll double check on my work PC to confirm and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks:

So we've been looking at this crashing issue internally, and we haven't yet been able to reproduce it. Some questions for you all...

1. Are you working with the old Pen tool, the Freeform Pen tool, or the new Curvature Pen tool? Or some combination of all three, bouncing back and forth?

2. How many shapes in the files you're working with? How many unattributed paths? Layers? Groups?

3. Most importantly... Do you have a test file we could try to work with -- i.e. the file you're having the problems with? If yes, I would love to get a hold of the file. You can try emailing it to me at: efloch@adobe.com. Or, you can post to Dropbox or such and share it with me.

4. Once I have the file, any information on the steps you're taking to provoke the crash would be most helpful.

I played with the various Pen tools much of yesterday afternoon, trying to make PS crash, without success. So any help you all can provide would be fantastic. We would love to get to the bottom of this. Thanks so much for any help!

Eric Floch

Photoshop Quality Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here since the latest update. Is there any way to roll back versions? Photoshop is constantly crashing while at work.

psteamscribe

1. Old pen tool

2. ~30 shapes, most of them turned off inside of groups. 5 groups total, ~15 layers in each with text

3. Don't have a good example file yet (NDAs) and it's a tough bug to repo. I'll try to come up with something though.

Seems to happen more often when using the free transform tool (ctrl+T) on shapes or drawing a new shape with the old pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe:

To go back to a previous version:

1. Launch your Creative Cloud app. You should see Photoshop there, with an Open button.

2. Hit the disclosure triangle to the right of the Open button.

3. Choose Other Versions in the resulting menu. Select the previous version you want to install.

You should have no problem having multiple versions of PS installed on your machine.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to repro.

If anyone else experiencing this problem DOES have a file they could send me, that would be very helpful.

Eric Floch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

psteamscribe Found an easy way to repo

- Create a new document (500x500, 72 res, rgb 8 bit white)

- Select elipse tool

- Make a circle with shift+alt, press numpad enter to confirm

- Select pen tool

- Control click circle to select shape

- Alt+click bottom anchor to made sharp edge

- Cntrol+shift+click drag bottom anchor down

- Press numpad enter to confirm

Edit:

Easier repo:

- new doc

- select pen tool

- create two points

- cntrl+click one point and move it somewhere (hovering away from the point then back seems to cause it more often)

- numpad enter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe: Thanks for the steps! Unfortunately, I'm trying it here on my various machines and I can't get PS to crash with any of your steps. So, a question...

Are you all on Windows 7, or various versions of Windows? I know the original poster was running into this issue on a Win 7 machine. This COULD be a factor here... I'm on Win 10 on a fairly powerful machine (processor/memory-wise) and not (yet) able to reproduce the issue. I've also tried on a Mac running OS 10.13 and no luck so far. I'll keep at it.

Mats: Thank you for emailing your file! I've been playing around with it so far without luck. Same question for you -- Win 7 or something newer? Also, it looks like just about everything in that file has been rasterized already -- I'm only seeing one work path for one of the connecting lines. Is the correct? Or should the various groups of heads be paths? If so, is there an earlier version of the file you can send?

Sorry for the constant questions. Sometimes these issues can be hard for us to track down -- there are a TON of factors at play. But rest assured, we'll keep working at it until we can reproduce it here and figure out what's going on.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Eric Floch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. No worries on the questions, all too familiar with the QA process.

Repo for me was 100% of the time with the circle.

System:

Windows 10 Pro

16gb ram

i7-4790

GTX 780

Have an intous 3 Tablet plugged in (using mouse most of the time)

Workspace:

I had to go back a version and my workspace was cleared unfortunately. I tried to get as close to my original workspace with v19.0 so this may help?

JoeWorkspace2018.psw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me on both my Windows 7 operating system at work, and my Windows 10 Pro at home. 

Home PC:

Windows 10 Pro

16gb RAM

Threadripper 1900x

3 Samsung SSD drives

GTX 1070 Graphics card

I'd say my home PC is pretty damn powerful, but still had the same crashing issues I was having on my work PC.

After reverting to the 19.0 build at home and at work I had ZERO issues with crashing on either computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe & Allan:

That's great info. Thanks. Sounds like no one here is running into this issue on Mac, though. Is this correct?

If it's Windows only, that's help us narrow it down.

I'm peeved I haven't been able to get this to happen yet. Still trying. Thanks for all your help.

Eric Floch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

I do not have a Mac to test this on, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply and work through it doing what you can to help!  Thanks for the help and hopefully we can get this resolve!

Thanks again,

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 x64 OS

No crashes here.

Can someone post their crash report from the OS?

administrative tools/event viewer/windows logs/application

find the crash and select "copy as text" and post it here.

This looks like a .dll conflict with a users video driver to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on  win 7. I can't see that any log is being created on crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't be able to do that from my work PC as I don't have access to Admin Tools (our IT guy is awesome).  I would have to update at home back to 19.1 to be able to do that.  But honestly, 19.0 is working just fine for me at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allan:

Hey, so we're still digging around on this one. I still haven't been able to repro the crash, but we've got some more eyes on it now.

Quick question for you... Do you still have that crash log? The one you posted a bit of in the initial post on this thread?

If so, it would be really helpful for us. You can email it to me at efloch@adobe.com.

Thanks for any help.

Eric Floch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I do not have any crash reports.  I will re-install 19.1 and follow the same steps I was doing to see if I can get you a full crash report though.

If I can reproduce I'll send it right over!

Quick question, the original one I posted was very long. Do you need every bit of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

I was able to reproduce and sent along my crash report to your email, also you have a crash report from JoeHoran in the forum post above. 

Hope our info helps you guys out, until then I'm reverting to 19.0 haha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know how to grab the crash report (Windows 7) and i can contribute too. Reproducing the error is quickly done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes consistently and I can reproduce over and over.

Crash report x3 sent in today around 3:30 Arizona Time.

User: jokerbug, Ray Marin

Using the Curvature Pen Tool on one shape. Added control points. Moved control points to get my curvature. Enter to commit and crashes every time almost immediately after pressing enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines