• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing watermarks that have already been exported out of Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperate to remove my watermark from 153 images I have already exported to an external hard drive from Lightroom. I unfortunately forgot to save my work without the watermark. Is it somehow possible to import those same images back into Lightroom without the watermark? I ask this question because when I am in the import module for Lightroom and I select the file with the watermark images the pictures are actually without the watermark until I import them back into Lightroom.  I an hoping there is a solution so I do not have to reedit those photos. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

The watermark has become part of that exported image. It is embedded in the pixels of that image. The only way you could remove it would be to open the image in Photoshop and edit the watermark out. To me, it seems to be an odd workflow to remove master images from Lightroom. I always leave the master images in Lightroom. If I need watermarks on copies I can export the copies. Then I can export other copies with other options at other times. Sorry, but there ain't no magic here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is: do NOT import the photos that you exported with the watermark. You go back into Lightroom and find the photos and export them again without the watermark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I already have removed them from Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you have to import the ORIGINAL photos and re-edit them.

As a word of advice for future usage of Lightroom, it might help if you learned how it works. There are plenty of tutorials for beginners at adobe.com and elsewhere. There is a free e-book for beginners at https://www.lightroomqueen.com/quickstart/. One of the key fundamental basic concepts for proper Lightroom use is that you should not remove your photos from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is an answer to my question that would be very helpful. All other "advice" is not needed. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the advice remains for anyone else reading along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karam302126  wrote

If there is an answer to my question that would be very helpful. All other "advice" is not needed. Thank you

You have been given a helpful and accurate answer to your question.

You would need to

1. import the same ORIGINAL images again (if they have not been retained in Lightroom)
  2. edit them again (but only if not retained in Lightroom, and even then only if those prior edits had not been previously saved out to disk)
  3. export them again, this time without the watermark.

Saving edits to disk as you work in LR, if that is not already turned on, might be a good idea for you. As a protection from the unexpected, such as this incident, assuming that you are determined not to simply leave your images in the Catalog as has been advised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The watermark has become part of that exported image. It is embedded in the pixels of that image. The only way you could remove it would be to open the image in Photoshop and edit the watermark out. To me, it seems to be an odd workflow to remove master images from Lightroom. I always leave the master images in Lightroom. If I need watermarks on copies I can export the copies. Then I can export other copies with other options at other times. Sorry, but there ain't no magic here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not made this mistake in a very long time but because I was busy during the holiday season I thought this batch was already edited and exported out to my external hard drive without my watermark.  But that is my bad for moving to fast.  Wont make that mistake again.  But, because I am a photographer I am uploading lots of raw images that take up space so it seems ti would be impossible to keep all my masters in Lightroom because it would slow down the program.  I am self taught on Lightroom so maybe you can help on how to store my masters into Lightroom?  I usually have 150 images per client.  So I get at least a thousand or more images a month.  Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again my reason for this question was to pray for a quick fix and not have to reedit my raw images.  Of course, I can easily remove my watermark in some but in other photos it will be impossible because of where it is positioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as far as I can see your best option is to keep praying. If you removed your raw images from Lightroom and don't have any originals to work from without the watermarks I don't see many options. Why did you remove your original raw images from Lightroom? Do you have a space limitation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karam302126  wrote

But, because I am a photographer I am uploading lots of raw images that take up space so it seems ti would be impossible to keep all my masters in Lightroom because it would slow down the program.  I am self taught on Lightroom so maybe you can help on how to store my masters into Lightroom?  I usually have 150 images per client.  So I get at least a thousand or more images a month.  Thank you for your help

Lightroom does not work that way. Your images are not "in" Lightroom. The images are on your hard drive(s) just like your documents and spreadsheets. Lightroom just references the files by path and filename.

The catalog is a SQL database. Hundreds of thousands of images will not present a performance problem for the catalog.

Your master images can be located anywhere: internal drives, external drives, networked drives. If the files are on external drives, you only need to keep the individual drives attached to the computer when you actively want to edit those files. (Smart Previews can assist when drives are not attached, if you want to use some extra disk space.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really sorry to hear about the watermark dilema. I cant ofer a fix or advice except say I feel your pain and I hope you got it sorted. Happened to me too so I offer my sympathies. But bright side your images must be really good so take comfort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines