Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does CP3 play well with Flash 10?

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been charged with figuring out if Captivate 3 and Flash 10 play well together (we have no official testing group so it has fallen to me, a non-tech person).

I don't know where to start, and so I thought I'd start with this group. I just need to know if anyone has encountered issues with users playing simulations developed in CP3, using the Flash 10 player. I would be grateful for any kind of heads-up if you have any information.

Thanks so much,
Dee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dee

I have noticed some issues. After I updated to Flash Player 10, I noticed that when I previewed slides with animations in them I did not see the animations (SWFs)... just blank slides. When I published my CP file, the animations were there. Just not in Preview mode. So I went back to FP 9.

There was another posting about this issue a few weeks back. I don't think there is a fix for it yet. Does anyone know about this?

For now I am staying with FP 9.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PinkKat, I've noticed the very same thing. White screen where .swf files should play. They work when you look at the published work, but not in the preview. As far as I know, there is no fix yet.

My two cents: I have not noticed anything strange with Flash 10 and CP3 (expect the aforementioned bug).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
What you've noticed is an issue we are tracking in Captivate 3. If your projects contain an FMR or an inserted FLV or animations- these might not show up in your preview; but your final project (when published) will not be affected.

The reason is that- before previewing we look for the Active-X version on your machine, and if it is between version 6 and 9, we preview for the version found. If an Active-X between 6 and 9 is not found, we default to the SWF-6 format. This format doesn’t support SWF's which are greater than 7 or FLVs. This explains why the assets don't show up at preview.
We will be putting up a tech-note on this.

Thanks,
Shameer
Adobe Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any updates to this issue? I have a many users who are experiencing this problem and going to Flash 9 is not an option for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to Flash 9 is not an option for me, either. When I am creating anything in Captivate 3 that is part of the question pool and using random questions, the project never loads; it always stays at 25%. Since the projects are created for Internet classes, students could have any number of versions of Flash; however, most will have the newest version (since Adobe promotes it) and we can't ask thousands of students to revert back to an older version! Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. I've emailed Adobe about the problem, asked for a response and did not receive one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, mjp145

Note that reverting to version 9 would only be needed for the Captivate author. This is because the issue only manifests when previewing via Captivate. If you preview via the web browser, the issue isn't present. And previewing via the web browser is giving you exactly what the users will see.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any Captivate 4 Beta testers out there know if this issue has been resolved with the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cindy

I'd be surprised if you get a reply to this as anyone that would be part of that program would be bound by (and violating) their NDA with Adobe if they said yes or no.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to Shameer's post: Can I update the active-x version on my pc to resolve the preview issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there sparkeast

I've heard of others that have downgraded the Flash Plug In/Flash Player to version 9 and they claim it works.

I'm not sure if that's what you are asking though.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I thought I would take a stab in the dark and ask. Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Captivate 3 previewing issues seem to have been fixed in Captivate 4. So if you plan on upgrading, there should be no (or fewer) issues with version 10.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I am using CP3 and flash v.10. I can't see my flash playing either in preview mode or even once it is published. I'm using the "Flash Video Streaming Service" as the video type and pointing to where the .flv file is stored in a media site. I can't add the flash file directly because it creates a zip file that is too big to be loaded into our learning management system, which has limits on how many megs we can import. Anyone know why I can't see the flash even once the project is published?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the "stuck at 25%" problem which was totally resolved after reverting to 9. When will we know if it's safe to upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2009 Feb 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this blog post

The Adobe Captivate Blog
Captivate 3 and FP 10 - Preview
http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/02/captivate_3_and_fp_10_preview.html

"This issue is addressed in Captivate 4 and the workaround for cp3 users is
to go back to version 9 if they can't live with this bug. "

Steve

--
--
http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999
Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with Cp4 regardless of whether I preview or publish. I added the swf file and it was able to be played. All of the sudden I cannot see it anymore. It will play the first slide then the image goes white. I can see the swf when I double click to add properties and I can run it in flash player. It just won't publish or preview correctly.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, I am having problems with CP3 simulations that have text entry boxes and they are published using FP9. The CP3 simulation is then embedded in a PPT file and published with Adobe Presenter 6. The simulations worked perfectly before, now when I use FP10 to view them, they don't allow for text entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources