Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Define custom shape dialog does not open

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

while working on the Classroom in a Book 2018 release Training book, Lesson 8 is all about Vector drawing. Unfortunately after drawing & saving a path, clicking on the Edit > define custom shape option does not do anything. Normally a dialog box where you should enter a name should open. After quick research on Google some other people have different problems with the creation of custom shapes, none of their solution worked for me. Of course I selected the path in the Paths panel and even created an extra shape layer.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Tobias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Danke für die Beispieldatei.

Und ja, so einfach kann das Leben sein.

Du hast deine Form verkehrt herum angelegt. (Der äußere Pfad sollte auf Formen kombinieren und nicht auf vordere Form subtrahieren stehen)

Sobald diese Einstellung korrigiert wurde, lässt sich auch eine eigene Form erstellen.

aaa.jpg

Viel Spass noch

Aktualisiert

PS: Der Freisteller ist noch etwas unsauber. Da könntest du noch etwas mit den Pfadwerkzeugen nachbessern.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Define Custom Shape grayed out when you click on it? If so, click on the saved path in the Layers panel, so that is chosen and then the Define Custom Shape will be in full black, Click on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it isn't greyed out and the saved path in the layers panel is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GrizzlyMedia  wrote

No, it isn't greyed out and the saved path in the layers panel is selected.

So you are able to click on Define Custom Shape but no dialog window opens?

How many screens are you using?  If you previously dragged the dialog window/box to a different location, then Photoshop will remember that location next time you open it.  Even if it is off the screen.

Are you able to keep using Photoshop after clicking on define new shape?  You should be locked out until you either action the window, or press escape.

I have been trying to find an easy way to make the dialog return to its default position, but I think the only way is reset Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo TobiasPrt

"eigene Form festlegen" funktioniert nicht - Mac, Photoshop CC - PSD-Tutorials.de

Dort hast du ja einige Informationen mehr angegeben als hier.

Welche exakte Versionsnummer hat dein PS CC? ( Menü: Hilfe --> über Photoshop CC)

Was allerdings (sehr wahrscheinlich) hilfreich sein würde: ein Screenshot mit markiertem Pfad sowie eingeblendeter Ebenenpalette und eingeblendeter Pfadpalette sowie das ausgeklappte Bearbeiten-Menü. Oder eine Beispiel-PSD hochgeladen auf einen Hoster deiner Wahl (z.B. Dropbox oder xup.in o.ä.) und hier verlinkt.

Mit meinem PS CC 19.1.0 funktioniert alles wie erwartet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-25 um 23.32.30.png

Yeah, I posted on that forum afterwards and thought including the version and system might be a good idea.

I also use 19.1.0.

I use only the macs built in display. It's also possible for me to do whatever I want after clicking on "define a custome shape". That's why I think it's a bug, maybe some relation missing or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Könntest du bitte noch die anderen Fragen beantworten?

z.B. die von Trevor.Dennis​

„ … So you are able to click on Define Custom Shape but no dialog window opens? …“

Und dann möchte ich nur noch kurz sicherstellen, ob wir über den gleichen Vorgang reden:

Möchtest du wirklich eine Eigene Form festlegen (die du dann mit dem Eigene-Form-Werkzeug auswählen kannst) oder möchtest du basierend auf deinem Pfad eine neue Formebene (eigene neue Ebene in der Ebenepalette) erstellen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank schonmal für deine Antworten!

Ich meine diese damit beantwortet zu haben das nachdem auswählen und klicken mein Programm ohne Ergebnis weiterläuft.

Ich möchte wirklich eine eigene Form festlegen. Habe das gleiche eben auf meinem Laptop probiert und dort kommt "Der Befehl ... konnte nicht verwendet werden, da ein Programmfehler aufgetreten ist". Ich befürchte dieses Kapitel überspringen zu müssen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are showing us a shape layer in the Layers panel.  You need to select the path of that shape in the Paths panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as seen in my screenshot both are selected, the Shape "Cup outline" and the Shape layer "Shape 1", even if I deselect all layers and only select my saved shape "cup outline" the problem still appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warum nicht:

https://forums.adobe.com/people/pixxxel+schubser  schrieb

… Oder eine Beispiel-PSD hochgeladen auf einen Hoster deiner Wahl (z.B. Dropbox oder xup.in o.ä.) und hier verlinkt …

Dann könnte man zumindest prüfen, ob vielleicht ein Fehler im Dateiaufbau bzw. an der Vorgehensweise vorliegt – oder an deiner Photoshopinstallation. (verwende bitte eine kleine, handliche Beispieldatei)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Das ist ein OneDrive-Link zur .psd aus der Lektion mit dem hinzugefügten Pfad.

This is an OneDrive-Link with the .psd from the chapter of the book including my added shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danke für die Beispieldatei.

Und ja, so einfach kann das Leben sein.

Du hast deine Form verkehrt herum angelegt. (Der äußere Pfad sollte auf Formen kombinieren und nicht auf vordere Form subtrahieren stehen)

Sobald diese Einstellung korrigiert wurde, lässt sich auch eine eigene Form erstellen.

aaa.jpg

Viel Spass noch

Aktualisiert

PS: Der Freisteller ist noch etwas unsauber. Da könntest du noch etwas mit den Pfadwerkzeugen nachbessern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super, vielen Dank!

Da waren weitere Ebenen wo vorgegeben war wie die Form gezogen werden sollte, die ich entfernt habe, bin selber auch nicht so zufrieden, aber geht auch nur darum zu verstehen was die Werkzeuge machen, also habe ich mir nicht so viel Mühe gegeben.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a fill on the shape and you will see the path operations are a bit out of whack. Set the outside path to combine and move the handle cutout to the top via path arrangement and make sure it is set to subtract. You will then be able to save a custom shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Yeah, there were other layers with a fix path, but it is only for learning how the different tools and functions work, so I did not invested to much time in drawing rather than in understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, changing it to combine worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was doing the exact same lesson with exact same problem and exact same solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait! That solution did NOT work for me. While it allowed me to define the shape, my shape was not complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit enter too early .. this is a continuation .... so my shape has two paths, with the second one inside the first, and subtracting to make a hole in the middle. The instructions in the book say to set the Path Operation to Subtract (which makes the whole I need just fine) but when I change Path Operations to combine, I lose my hole. So any other ideas of what I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.19.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.39.58 PM.png

Select Exclude Overlapping Shapes not Subtract Front Shape

Then Edit- Define Custom Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines