• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something For the Weekend - Part 4 - San Diego Waterfront

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kicking this off a bit early as it is (almost) Friday here, and I am going to be a bit full on tomorrow (my new computer is _finally_ finished).

A different approach this time, and I have done some of the work for you.  Instead of a full image, I'm providing a cutout with transparency, and you have to decide how to use it. The sailor and his girl are a statue at San Diego I took at MAX in 2016.

The PDF is about 2500 pixels on the long side. Previous SFTW threads got a bit slow to load by the time it was filled with images, so we should maybe keep the final uploads to say 1200 pixels on the long side.  Have fun

A Sailor and His Girl 2.pdf

[EDIT] I am not sure if you will be able to open this as a layered document with CS6 and older versions.  If you have that problem, then you will still be able to open it as a PDF with a white background, so an easy selection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the task is the replace the sailor with a new model or place the sailor into a new background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I'm providing a cutout with transparency

Nah, where's the fun in that...

ferdig2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I didn't even consider anyone making it flat. That's nicely done Dag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever idea Dag - and very nicely put together

Davce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys - there's a sort of nostalgic feeling here that I like. Yeah, my best entry so far

It doesn't quite hang together, lighting-wise. The crumpled corner is lit from the wrong angle, but my crumpled paper plugin doesn't work, so I had to pick up my camera and actually photograph one. Forensic experts can probably spot that in a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't compete with Dag -- that was great.  I'm on a deadline today so this is my quick & dirty.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost Friday so :

SFTW4edit.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the true cost

truecost.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that Darth Vader's head in the foreground?   Your picture gave me this idea:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no its her knee but she won't get back in the kitchen where women belong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friday night is horror movie night

A Sailor and His Girl 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just love Dag's image this week probably the best since we started doing this. Give that Norwegian a Nobel Prize I actually couldn't think of anything decent this week. My first thought was a wedding cake , then one of those wooden carvings on the front of those 18th century sailing ships, but finally ended up with the one below.

sftw4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty busy today, here's my ten minute put together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another....

SFTW4b.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats really cool, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks . Only the statue and the trees are real

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you certainly have a very active imagination Dave. How did you do the statuette? Completely off topic,  I've got a feeling that cars in England can't have those things on the bonnet  anymore. My dad had an old style 'Inspector Morse' style Jaguar and had to have the big cat statuette removed when the car was MOT'd  or it would fail. I'm still not convinced that was legal but I was given the mascot and now have it on my desk at home on a wooden base mount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your probably right about the car mascots now Terri. At one stage they were retractable - but I think that was against theft rather than pedestrian safety.

The statuette was Trevor's image turned to silver by using a black and white adjustment layer followed by several curve adjustment layers each with different blending modes For example the curve below was set to "difference"

After I got the basic silver I used hue and sat and a sky image to set some color and added a hint of reflections using the tree layer with puppet warp.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some very clever stuff going on here.  Dave's chrome plating is masterful, and I love that the rest of the vehicle is pure illustration.  Some excellent use of perspective and eye lines going on in the monochrome images.  You'd be hard pressed to recognize them as composites.   Terri, I'm coming to the UK in May, so be very afraid

Dave has told me some of his ideas for future SFTWs and I can't wait to have a crack at them.  That's if I don't drop off the perch before then Terri .  I take hope from Prof Norman who is 110 and still a Photoshop Grand master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

I only did the chrome plating on the statue Trevor - the chrome on the top of the radiator below is taken from a section of real chrome.  I was going to paint the car bonnet (hood in US) but I realised that from that angle it would be pure reflection.To be honest the fun part was the glass, making it appear as if there was some car interior behind it.

Great challenge this week Trevor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Your probably right about the car mascots now Terri. At one stage they were retractable - but I think that was against theft rather than pedestrian safety.

The statuette was Trevor's image turned to silver by using a black and white adjustment layer followed by several curve adjustment layers each with different blending modes For example the curve below was set to "difference"

After I got the basic silver I used hue and sat and a sky image to set some color and added a hint of reflections using the tree layer with puppet warp.

Dave

I am all for folk doing a how it was done post after they do something clever.   I keep looking at Jane's #17 and trying to work out why it looks so right.  Some how our point of view has been raised — is it just the bottom of the dress?  Very clever stuff, and a real learning experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I am all for folk doing a how it was done post after they do something clever.   I keep looking at Jane's #17 and trying to work out why it looks so right.  Some how our point of view has been raised — is it just the bottom of the dress?  Very clever stuff, and a real learning experience.

Remember that I called myself uncreative? It looks "so right" because it's the real photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on August 14, 1945 in Times Square and published in Life Magazine a week later. It's possibly one of their most famous photos.

The sailor was George Mendonsa and the woman was Greta Zimmer, a dental assistant. He grabbed her and kissed her. She had nothing to do with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

it's the real photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on August 14, 1945 in Times Square and published in Life Magazine a week later.

Yes, this is one of the truly iconic photographs, along with Cartier-Bresson's man jumping a pool, or - on a more disturbing note - Nick Ut's napalm girl, and a handful of others. It's the kind of once in a lifetime shot that all photographers dream of - being at exactly the right spot at exactly the right moment in time.

The Times Square shot could not have been taken today, and yet it appears as fresh as morning dew. This apparent paradox is a reminder that, contrary to myth, great art is not "timeless" - great art is of its time with perfect precision. It tells us that whatever else is in eternal flux, there are some things that remain at the core of being human. That's the story these images tell.

This has been a great round, by far the most interesting so far. Keep it coming. This time, we get images that tell a story in their own right, not just putting together things that don't "belong" together. That's fun, by all means, but there can be more to it. It doesn't have to be a "grand" story, it can be a little one, so tiny that nobody notices it. Like a piece of chewing gum sticking to a heel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Remember that I called myself uncreative? It looks "so right" because it's the real photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on August 14, 1945 in Times Square and published in Life Magazine a week later. It's possibly one of their most famous photos.

The sailor was George Mendonsa and the woman was Greta Zimmer, a dental assistant. He grabbed her and kissed her. She had nothing to do with it!

Ahhh...  That'll be why I was banging my head against a wall wondering how you'd done that.  It was still food for thought as they say, and I had to have a go at changing the perspective to some extent. So below is the original, my edit, and the statue.  All I really did was lower the dress hem so we were no longer 'looking up' (which feels kind of seedy even to write) and hand draw the hat so we are looking down on it.  Perspective is the enemy of compositors IMO, but the problem is that you can't always work out what is wrong, even when your brain is shouting out that _something_ isn't right.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if George and Greta had married and lived happily ever after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines