• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 18-the slowest memory hog ever

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used PE 11 for years.  Got a new camera.  PE 11 did not support adobe camera raw for this camera (I downloaded the digital converter from adobe and it did not work/load).  so I bought PE 18.  Organizer takes about 10 minutes to start.  When it does start, it grabs 3/4 of my physical memory and will not release it.  Just tried to upload some pix waited 5 minutes while PE organizer was "connecting to device" Finally had to kill the process and then PE organizer would not release the physical memory.  Running Windows 7 home edition.

anybody know how to make this dog (PE 18) work or did I just waste $150 (bought premiere elements 18 too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the thoughtful user club! There is much misery to be shared re the Organizer re exactly the complaints you have voiced. Check the threads starting about a month back.

If you check the task manager you will see that smart tags may be running and facial recognition may be running slowing everything. You can let them run (for days in my case until completion at ~500 photos per hour). Once that is done the Organizer gets more responsive. You can also turn off the media analysis in options and have it much snappier immediately. (it will exhibit some other annoying "features" at that point).

PS. I "wasted" my money for some neat features (shake and haze reduction), but it appears I did give up a lot of robustness though. Fortunately I got it on Black Friday sale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver!  Thanks very much.  Turning off facial recognition and smart tags and media analysis helped a lot.  However, while I was typing this to you, Organizer in PE 18 crashed!  So I guess more work needs to be done before I can actually use Photoshop Elements 18 like I used PE 11....to organize and edit photos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnc46999355  wrote

Life saver!  Thanks very much.  Turning off facial recognition and smart tags and media analysis helped a lot.  However, while I was typing this to you, Organizer in PE 18 crashed!  So I guess more work needs to be done before I can actually use Photoshop Elements 18 like I used PE 11....to organize and edit photos...

Just to come back to your original post:

Organizer takes about 10 minutes to start.

It takes 35 seconds on my

Elements Organizer 16.0.0.0

Core Version: 16.0 (20170902.m.113423)

Language Version: 16.0 (20170902.m.113423)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: Cat_V16-28-10-2017

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Cat_V16-28-10-2017\

Catalog Size: 422,2MB

Catalog Cache Size: 3,7GB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 10

Operating System Version: 10.0

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:12 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Built-in Memory: 7,9GB

Free Memory: 3GB

It's an I3 3.1 GHz processor with 8 GB memory. Windows 10 (1709) - conventional 2 TB drive. 70 000 items in the catalog.

I find those 35 seconds very slow.

So, now, how long does it take for you to open your organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Crashes every time I try to name any faces. Why aren't all my people transferred from PE15 as part of installing PE2018?  I also can't find where I can get a refund and uninstall PE2018.  The change will cost me weeks to re-do all my people again and I'm not doing that.  Very frustrated and annoyed and think I have been ripped off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

New development. I questioned why I want People/face recognition software and decided that it is only because it was new and good fun.  Now I have un-ticked anything to do with facial recognition and will simply do without People until such time as Adobe catch up and allow People from earlier PE models to migrate to the latest PE model.

Result is that PE2018 appears to run faster and probably has some attributes I haven't discovered yet, so Ill keep it and wait for further developments from Adobe.

Therefor Adobe can keep my money but get zero green ticks this time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes you mentioned made opening PE 18 and organizer much faster...thanks so much.  However, but....PE 18 grabs and hold physical memory even after PE 18 and organizer applications and processes are closed....  so now I have to solve that problem.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines