Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Files Not Deleted From Server

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you in advance if you can help.

Application: Robohelp6/Server6 and earlier versions. Don't know about 7 or 8.
Output: Webhelp Pro

Background: Whenever I delete a topic from the publisher and publisher a project to our server, the htm file for that topic is not deleted. I started calling them "ghost" files because they should be dead and gone. Some users access these files following a direct URL hence providing them with outdated information. They don't normally appear in the application search results but hyperlinks to them work until the file is removed.

I've tried different publishing options to get them removed. Check for delete files and republish entire project. The only way I found to get rid of them is to delete the file from the server manually. Another option is to delete the project from the server and republish everything.

Question: Can anyone explain what is going on and if there is something I can to make sure they are automatically deleted when publishing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009
Hi Captiv8r,

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r

I don't believe anything in RoboHelp publishing will actually ever delete files. It's my experience that any file that needs to be removed from the server has to be accomplished manually.

I believe the above quote answers my question. I guess I was looking for confirmation on what I was seeing.

Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, David

I don't believe anything in RoboHelp publishing will actually ever delete files. It's my experience that any file that needs to be removed from the server has to be accomplished manually.

So I know this calls into question what exactly does the option "Check for deleted files" actually DO?" Am I right?

Here's the deal. Upon publishing, a list is created. The first round takes longest as it is also creating the list. When you publish again, files are compared to the list.
Need updating? Nope. Skip it and move on.
Need updating? Yes. Copy and replace the file.

The option to check for deleted files slows the process. The process then becomes:
Need updating? Nope. Does it still exist on server? Yes. Skip it and move on.
Need updating? Yes. Copy and replace the file.
Need updating? Nope. Does it still exist on server? Nope. Copy the file and move on.

Hopefully that helps you better understand what is happening.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Captiv8r,

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r

I believe the above quote answers my question. I guess I was looking for confirmation on what I was seeing.

Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp