• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Supplied photos problem

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with low Rez photos. I need them 300 dpi and at least 8” large. Is there a pixel dimension that I can request they use that would get me what I need? I don’t do enough photography to address this. And most photographers I ask don’t do printed work so they don’t know. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Hi kialua,

You’ve more or less answered your own question.

If you need 300ppi and want to print 8 inches in size, then the photos need to be 2400 pixels (300 x 8). I personally have had good results with 240 ppi, and an 8 inch print at 240 needs to be just 1920 pixels across.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kialua,

You’ve more or less answered your own question.

If you need 300ppi and want to print 8 inches in size, then the photos need to be 2400 pixels (300 x 8). I personally have had good results with 240 ppi, and an 8 inch print at 240 needs to be just 1920 pixels across.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike. As long as one of the dimensions is 2400 then it should work. But ppl is not the as dpi. I need 300 dpi for printing presses. Isn’t “ppi” pixels per inch for monitors? And ”dpi” dots per inch for printing presses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re correct that ppi is for monitors and dpi for print. But for practical purposes we can consider them equivalent for calculating the required image size.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kialua  wrote

I need 300 dpi for printing presses. Isn’t “ppi” pixels per inch for monitors?

The DPI is dependent on the quality of the printing press and how many dots of ink per inch it is capable of putting down. Your low-res photos won't improve with more ink.

DPI, PPI or LPI -- what's the difference?

I am working with low Rez photos. I need them 300 dpi

You can't make a photo 300 dots per inch. Photos are made of pixels and the resolution is defined as how many pixels per inch. Output devices such as printers measure how many dots of ink per inch they can put down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I cannot make low Rez photos acceptable for the printing press. I need to direct the people handing in photos to use a setting on their cameras which will allow me to have hi Rez photos. 2400 should do it for my purposes.

Thanks Mike and Jane-e!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The resolution of images is an obsolete notion inherited from paper photos and scanners of the twentieth century:

https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines