• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extrenal drive refused in preferences

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC wont let me use my external drives. I keep gettin this error: " Oops! You've selected an invalid location. Make sure you select a valid destination for your photos (such as an external hard drive, USB drive, etc). Choose a different location." Any one can help me with this?

MacBook Pro, OS High Siera 10.13.2

Cheers

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

That's definitely the reason then. Mac OS X cannot natively write to NTFS without third-party software. It will give you options when you erase. See here: Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Erase a volume using Disk Utility

Generally you want to use the default: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of external drive are you trying to use? LRCC will not allow you to select a networked drive, but "standard" external drives should be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I,m using a Seagate 1 TB. How do I change the format? I can't find data on how to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select the drive in Finder and do a get info? In the Format section it should say: Mac OS Extended or APFS. Most external drives even if they are marketed as compatible with Macs come formatted for windows computers by default - typically FAT or exFAT but you sometimes will see NTFS. Mac OS X will still read those and should be able to write to them (except for NTFS), but perhaps Lightroom CC really wants it to be Mac OS format. Changing the format takes a full erase of the disk and is done through Disk Utility. You would need to back up any file on the disk before reformatting it so you typically do this right when you first connect a new hard disk to a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and if it is Mac OS Extended you should check whether you have the correct permissions on the drive (also in get info at the bottom). You should have write permissions throughout the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.

Mine says NTFS so I,ve got to change it.

When I reformat does it give me options of file systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely the reason then. Mac OS X cannot natively write to NTFS without third-party software. It will give you options when you erase. See here: Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Erase a volume using Disk Utility

Generally you want to use the default: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jao & Jim, I think I'll get a new ext' drive and set it up properly at the start. Too much trouble copying the HD!!

Great help.

Cheers

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also make sure the externals are formatted to HFS+ or APFS and not some system incompatible format such as NTFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines