Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select new scratch disk location photoshop 2018

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I'm having problems doing more than 3 minutes work in photoshop 2018 without it telling me my scratch disk is full, despite the fact I have cleared my MacBook over and over to free up space. I've tried to change the scratch disk to my external hard drive by going to preferences> Scratch disks etc but my External HD isn't showing as an option and it won't allow me to de-select the Mac HD option either. I have also tried launching PS and pressing Command option and doing it that way, but that doesn't show my external HD as an option either.

Any ideas? It won't even allow me to save my work so far because the scratch disk is full.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use windows but see if the this works for you. Close down Photoshop.  The start Photoshop and immediately press and hold theCMD+Option keys. You should get a popup dialog the looks something like this and be able to change your scratch disk configuration.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't clear whether you are saying the message can't be right. Just how much space IS free on your C drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, how much space is free on your Mac's internal disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s about 11Gb left on my MacBook internal hard-drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not enough. You need to free a lot more space just to keep your system running smoothly, still less run Photoshop. You can add an external disk so long as it’s formatted correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s the problem, I’ve tried to add my external HD but it doesn’t come up on the list of options no matter what method I try. From what I’ve researched, it is formatted correctly and it is writable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds good, but how is it formatted? If you aren't sure what format it has and don't know how to find out, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines