• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it correct for Photoshop to open on auto recovery all the time?

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help My photoshop always opens in auto recovery and brings up a file that I want to get rid of (it is saved into auto recovery)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda

No that is not normal and usually happens if Photoshop has shut down incorrectly.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

Thank you!

Next big question ... what shall i do to stop this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been saving files before closing and it shuts down when it feels like it anyway.

(I have de bugged my Mac too!)

I have a large range of imported fonts and imported pictures which I'm sure isn't helping, but where to start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could try resetting your preferences to the default. This corrects a lot of weird issues like that. You can reset Photoshop's preferences from the Preferences dialog box as shown below, or follow these instructions to do it manually:

2018-01-28_14-28-03.png

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Thanks! I will have a look at that…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Michael, it looks a bit epic for me!

First I will get an external hard drive and second I will attempt this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda

Resetting preferences is not a big deal. The preferences are saved each time Photoshop closes and if it does not close down correctly, for example due to a crash, then they can become corrupt. Resetting takes them back to the 'out of the box' condition.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

Ok, so …photoshop … preferences … general —— then I don’t see ‘reset preferences on quit’! …Do I press reset all warning dialogue to get that option?

I don’t want to muck up here and I so appreciate your help, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop CC?

On earlier versions you need to hold down Opt+Cmd+Shift when starting. The timing is tricky but if you get it right you will see a message to delete settings. Accept that and new preferences will be built

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave

Thank you, I’m still building up to doing that!

Actually I am using CS6 version of Photoshop with Mac OS High Sierra, perhaps they aren’t so compatible?

(I have had the software for a few years)

Amanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines