• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A policy of bad Photoshop manipulations?

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I love me some Dillard's, but they've been going a little crazy with the Photoshop. I first noticed it when many of the models regularly had flat knees. But what I saw today is even weirder. Dillard's is removing the arch of the foot in their pictures of shoes. This poor model has the worst case of flat feet ever Antonio Melani Lynnette Ankle Strap and Buckle Wedges | Dillards. I wouldn't want these shoes if they did that to my feet!

What repeat offenders have you seen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very poor edit as well. That hard transition between foot and shoe looks horrible.

They should have been breathing life into the images by adding highlights to make them sparkle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, you've got a good eye Myra. I would never have thought to look at that but then i'm not much of a foot guy. Like Trevor said though, that is some bad photoshopping especially since it's so close to the product being sold. Nice job on the shadow Trev.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect other people see these images and think something is off but just aren't able to pinpoint what it is. Or maybe they think the model has a really thick foot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm playing devil's advocate here .

Have you considered that this store's target demographic has above average sized feet?  Actually their sizes are average for me but that's another story.   The point is, maybe their typical shopper has thick feet  (certain medications can do that) and they  relate better to that image than they would to a picture of a skinny foot.  

Just a thought...

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's unlikely, but possible, I suppose. It looks like they're going for something not quite in the natural realm. At best, they look like mannequin feet. Check out the knees on the other pages, too. I find the editing disturbing--sort of the same reason this photo https://nypost.com/2018/01/15/familys-professional-photo-shoot-goes-hilariously-wrong/  went viral. You just know it's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.  I saw that "retouched"  family picture posted in another forum.  It's hilarious but  I still think it's a gag.   You can say almost anything on Facebook and get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Yeah.  I saw that "retouched"  family picture posted in another forum.  It's hilarious but  I still think it's a gag.   You can say almost anything on Facebook and get away with it.

The more we found out about that episode, the more fishy it became.  Probably not as desperate for (in)fame(y)  as the Balloon boy's family  though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

The more we found out about that episode, the more fishy it became. 

While the NY Post is amusing as heck to read, I can't believe they fact-check everything they print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey wow that's exactly what I was thinking...maybe it's a mannequin but like all fleeting thoughts it when right by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is doing the rounds of news sites today. I've pasted it in at 2000 pixels, so click to expand, and check out Reese Witherspoon on the left 'snuggling' up to Oprah.  It's her legs, or rather her extra leg, that has people talking.

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/vanity-fair.jpg?w=2000

In this case I love the reaction of the people involved, making a big joke of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42830535

There is also a picture showing Oprah with three hands.  The unsubtle highlights are the BBC's and not by me — I know you guys don't need help to spot a Photoshop blooper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That's blaringly in your face messed up. But what's really shocking is the Photographer was Annie Leibovitz. I can't see how she would have signed off on that without saying something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew she came from that strange planet, where all of the people have 3 hands...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if the photo is a gag from her or not. The NY Post article links to her real facebook page where she talks about it. It might be legit. She is still saying that it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Target's thigh gap ads were a classic. Here is one:

IMG_4810.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, your #12 post had left me laughing uncontrollably over my breakfast.  I keep breaking out with fits of the giggles thinking about how anyone would claim that be real.  It's a funny old world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get numbers on the threads and I just looked on Windows as well as on Mac, so I'm going to guess that you are talking about the Target ads, Trevor. Is it something you have to turn on?

There were lots of these ads before they were pulled, by the way.

One person did claim they were real, though. You have to watch this interview with long-armed Target model Tanya Marie Keller on The Ellen Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrljAHr5WhU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

I don't get numbers on the threads

taget_ad.png

This is very clearly an accidental mistake, not deliberate. You can see that this is a mask or clipping path that has been accidentally moved upwards - it's the same shape repeated. Also look at the hand, same thing. It also cuts into the whole outline of the right thigh, making it too narrow.

In fact this can very easily happen if you work fast with a deadline two minutes away. I've done it myself - although I think I've caught them all before sending the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

In fact this can very easily happen if you work fast with a deadline two minutes away. I've done it myself - although I think I've caught them all before sending the file.

D Fosse, have you ever made this kind of mistake, even under deadline, hahaha? Here's another Target thigh gap ad. They were pulled pretty quickly after they made the news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

have you ever made this kind of mistake, even under deadline, hahaha?

Well, let me put it this way: not likely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't see these?  They appear on all three browsers I have installed.  I wonder if it is a Mac/Windows thing?

Yes, it was the Target advert that had me laughing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No numbers:

570AA3F9-9112-4B2F-9CDB-1CE2B2AA8434.png

...but the possibility to post the link to the entry: Re: A policy of bad Photoshop manipulations?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbers appear in the forum threads but not from your inbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Numbers appear in the forum threads but not from your inbox.

Nancy, I made sure to be in the forum thread in Windows, on the Mac, and on the iPad. You can see part of the URL in the Windows screen shot I posted before. It has most of the word "thread". Here is the complete URL on Mac. No numbers. I've never had numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right-click and Inspect Element in my browser (Firefox), I can see it in the code.  So it's there but it's not rendering in certain browsers for whatever reason...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines