Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop (NonCC) CS6 - Cannot Save Files "File Not Found"

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've attempted to search the forums for this, but every discussion is related to Scratch disk and that doesn't appear to be my problem.

When I attempt to save any file, no matter the extension, I get a prompt that says "Could not save XXXX because file is not found". I mean, obviously when I'm making new files they wouldn't be found? But even existing files this happens with. Photoshop is able to open files, edit files, but I can't actually save any of the work.

As I said above, every answer I've seen related to Scratch Disk space, but my Photoshop has reign of my C drive, which has over 500GB free, and I'm attempting to save a screenshot. I tried switching the Scratch disk to startup and back again, but none of this changed the issue. I gave Photoshop more Memory usage ability as well (I had it at 50% before, and allowed it 60%), but this also didn't solve anything.

Please help - I love this software and have no idea why I can't save anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

If you haven't fixed this problem yet, it's being caused by a Windows 10 update. 1. Go to your "Windows Settings", 2. Choose "Update & Security",  3.) Choose "Windows Security", 4.) Click on "Virus & threat protection", 5.) Go to the bottom of the list and Click on "Ransomware protection", and 6.) Toggle the feature off. Reboot your computer and the problem should be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real problem is the the message does not state what file is not found.  If  you used "Save As" and the file you want to save exists you would be prompted with a dialog asking if you want to replace that file.  If the file does not  exists "Save As would save the new file.  If you used Save would automatically save over the existing file. If the document had not been saved  if you use Save Photoshop Save would switch to Save As.  So what file is that message referring to? I have not idea but it could be the backing file if you use save.  Adobe should out put message the are useful not messages that are ambiguous.    If the document had been saved and the backing file has been delete by something.  Save could save could save the document as a new file for Photoshop knows what the backing was for it Opened the file and noted that as the documents backing file or Save may put out a message like file not found. Because the message does not contain the path and file name the programmer is still learning their craft.   If you are using "Save" and get this message.  Use Windows File explorer or Finder to see of the backing file still exist when the message is being displayed.  If you are using "Save As" I have no idea of what the name of the file not found is. Save for Web would be like Save As.  I'm not sure how Export as or quick export work I the not use them much.  I have used export As SVG to do some testing.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

It does this regardless if I use Save or Save As actually, and whether or not the file exists.

For instance, if I name the file as, say, pleaseletmesave.jpg (which does not exist), it will say: "[filepath]\pleaseletmesave.jpg File not found. Check the file name and try again." With only OK as the option.

If I name the file, thisexists.jpg (which exists), it will still say "Could not save a copy as "[filepath]\thiexists.jpg" because the file could not be found." with again, only OK as the option.

I've been using Photoshop for years and this is honestly the first time I've had issues. I was able to just overwrite a save on a random PNG that I didn't want to overwrite in testing this, but I can't overwrite other jpgs, and the png was in an entirely seperate folder path (Downloads versus Pictures, but both are on the C drive, so that shouldn't have impacted it).

I'm just at a loss as to why Photoshop believes every file can't be found but still can traverse the disk validly. It doesn't appear that C drive is "corrupt".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to do is try resetting your Photoshop Preferences if this just started happening.

Does the happen everywhere.  If it does check you user ID permissions can it read and write to where you where you want to save.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just attempted a reset (Ctrl+Alt+Shift), did not resolve.

I'm admin on this computer but did double check, and I definitely have read write permissions. I can verify because I can do things within the folder such as copy an image or save an image from -another- program (such as Illustrator), and I can also open images (even in PHotoshop, which claims file not found if I attempt to save, I can indeed open the files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add more details, I can save to my Downloads folder, but not Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos. All of the Creative Suite has this issue.

Other programs such as Microsoft Word are able to save to these folders just fine when run by myself (Admin user), so it can't be permissions on the folders.

I'm at a loss. I thought originally it was only Photoshop but my entire Creative Suite has this problem. I can't just save everything in my Downloads folder whenever I work in Creative Suite. There needs to be a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but only since we added Windows 10 to our computer.  For whatever reason, Photoshop is not connecting correctly to Windows and will not save anything new.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't fixed this problem yet, it's being caused by a Windows 10 update. 1. Go to your "Windows Settings", 2. Choose "Update & Security",  3.) Choose "Windows Security", 4.) Click on "Virus & threat protection", 5.) Go to the bottom of the list and Click on "Ransomware protection", and 6.) Toggle the feature off. Reboot your computer and the problem should be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for this, spent way too long trying to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. I'm glad it helped you.

Happy designing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this useful tips. It really worked for me. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate that you guys that have figured this out, but in saying that does it not bother anyone that we are having to turn off a feature I thought was an important security feature in Windows just to save our work? I'm shocked that Adobe is making us all of a sudden do this as I get charged for four subscriptions last month and after calling customer service on a completely different issue I experienced the worst customer care I can remember in a long time and I am really starting to think there are other programs that might want my business because Adobe clearly doesn't seem to care right now and I like most of you have been loyal customers.I'm still stunned that we have to turn off our ransomware protection to simply save our work. Come on a child knows something is very wrong with that!

I have to talk to someone in customer service about all these subscription charges and the thought of calling makes me sick to my stomach most of the time I can't get past my email address because that keep getting it wrong. It's really awful!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ransomeware Protection should not remain turned off.  When turned on, there is a link below "Allow an app through controlled folder access".  Click on it and find your software in the "Recenty Blocked App".  You can click to allow that software Access.  Everything worked fine after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ransomeware Protection should not remain turned off.  When turned on, there is a link below "Allow an app through controlled folder access".  Click on it and find your software in the "Recenty Blocked App".  You can click to allow that software Access.  Everything worked fine after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines