• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

weird image degradation

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On occasion some students are experiencing a weird image degradation issue.

This student says her image looked fine until she rotated the affected elements: https://screencast.com/t/bUnSPTGqXvZs

This is an online course that makes use of a Photoshop in a Book text and associated files.

I tried to recreate the issue by intentionally degrading one of the images, however this doesn't seem to be the issue: https://screencast.com/t/FML6e117e4

Thank you for helping troubleshoot !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MC:

I teach with those materials and am very familiar with the postcard in lesson 4. Rotating the beach image is part of the exercise and doesn't cause an issue.

Can we see the file before image rotation and after? And her layers panel?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotating the beach image is part of the exercise and doesn't cause an issue.

The Interpolation setting might have been changed inadvertently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barb,

Thank you.

As mentioned, this is an online course. Here is what I see when regarding her file on my system:

2018-01-29_0936

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shot shows the right side of layers: 2018-01-29_0940

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots on this Forum directly and answer the questions regarding Interpolation settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion board refused SS.

Sorry, not sure how to show interpolation setting, Help in the program shows nothing when I search for that.
How do you pull that view up ?

Thank you ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From c.pfaffenbichler 's original response:

What is the Preferences > General > Image Interpolation setting and what was the Interpolation setting (see Options Bar) for that specific transformation?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mc74525503  wrote

Discussion board refused SS.

Sorry, not sure how to show interpolation setting, Help in the program shows nothing when I search for that.
How do you pull that view up ?

Thank you ~

Select a layer and start the Free Transform process.  Nearest Neighbor causes all anti aliasing to be left out causing hard and ugly edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I just tried that a couple of times, Trevor.

Notice that the issue isn't affecting image edges but also the image's interior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction: "Notice that the issue isn't affecting image edges ONLY but also the image's interior."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mc74525503 :

Were you able to obtain a version of the file prior to the rotation?

There was nothing in the screen shot you shared to shed light on this issue, so I'm going with "user issue" that either she wasn't aware of, or just isn't mentioning. I rely heavily on the History panel when working with a student like that to visually show them what they've done, because often they say "nope, I didn't do xxxx", even as I watched them do it from the back of the room.

The file was saved and closed so the history is long gone, but teaching the students to save incremental versions would help both of you in future, as would teaching how to step backward as soon as things go downhill and/or capturing screen shots of the History panel so that they could talk to you about it.

It's all part of the learning experience.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the student:"I'm using a Microsoft laptop and the interpolation was set to "bicubic automatic."
(I did ask her for before and after screenshots, however since we're working remotely it's less easy to obtain these.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the student says interpolation is set to Bicubic Automatic on her computer, it's the same on mine and I can't recreate the degradation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb and all, thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get this resolved?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not yet ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Speaking for myself, I'd have her redo the lab. It's pretty short—and this time she can watch for when things start to go downhill (if they do), and can stop and get a screen grab of her history panel.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots on this Forum directly.

Did the student use Smart Objects?

Please post screenshots that include the pertinent Panels (Layers etc.) before, during and after the Transformation.

What is the Preferences > General > Image Interpolation setting and what was the Interpolation setting (see Options Bar) for that specific transformation?

Edit:

transfromationInterpolation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach with this book to online students all the time. Many of my students are on a virtual machine. The virtual machines are crap - they don't have enough RAM, the video cards suck... etc. Looks like a video card / screen re-draw issue to me. Are your students on their own computers? if not I wouldn't worry about it.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines