• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent forwarding of pdf files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tasked with ensuring that our copyrighted and secured pdf publications (sent via Dynamics 365) cannot be forwarded by the original recipient.  I am aware of other products available that fulfill this function, but I was wondering if Adobe already has a product to do the same?  Encryption with digital ID is impractical when there are from 20 to up to 200 subscribers receiving the file. If nothing is available through Adobe, I would like to hear of any recommendations?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

You need to be very clear that "do not forward" is impossible. What some products offer is a control over who can OPEN a file (DRM). The forwarded copy is therefore useless, but it is still forwarded. This must be made very clear to stakeholders.

You seem concerned about administrative overhead so be aware that DRM solutions, if they are to actually product files individually locked and accountable to users, will likely have significant administrative cost. In this regard using digital certifica

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which other products doesn't allow forwarding PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently looking at lock lizard, but have not had a response as to suitability for mail merges where more than one recipient receives the same email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has also a DRM solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I am aware of is digital ID Encryption, which would necessitate contacting each and every subscriber to allow an encryption password to be set. I am bulk emailing through a CRM where one email template is used with one attachment and it is not feasible to contact each and every subscriber for digital ID encryption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the LiveCycle Policy Server:

http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that it does not seem to apply to forwarding emails containing the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be very clear that "do not forward" is impossible. What some products offer is a control over who can OPEN a file (DRM). The forwarded copy is therefore useless, but it is still forwarded. This must be made very clear to stakeholders.

You seem concerned about administrative overhead so be aware that DRM solutions, if they are to actually product files individually locked and accountable to users, will likely have significant administrative cost. In this regard using digital certificates, which you describe as "impractical", is no worse than anything else, I suspect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarity of your reply MVP

As you correctly ascertained, the main aim is that only the addressee of the email can open the file and save it, with forwarding resulting in the next recipient being unable to open, read or save the file.  I was rather imprecise with my original explanation.

Thus far I have also determined that the financial costs of a DRM solution seem prohibitive, as well as administrative as you stated, especially for a small business with a small team.

The main aim is to protect our IP for the unique publications we sell, which securing and 'watermarking' of a PDF is insufficient in this instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the two reasons you identify it’s more common to use a third party (“publisher“) to deliver the DRM. This too has a cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend no one use this website. See my review of it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/how-to-prevent-pdf-files-save-locally-or-forward-the-to-anyon...

In short, the protection it offers is easily overcome and it is not clear who (or what) is behind it, that you're giving access to your sensitive files to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines