Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit photoshop pdf

Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Experts,

I am creating my book covers CMYK in Photoshop and saving them as pdf and sending to my client.

In case of any small changes text changes, she said she was able to edit using PowerPoint.

But recently she started complaining that some of the paragraphs are locked and unable to edit in PowerPoint.

I didn't change my method in saving.

Could anyone know what could be the possible issue?

Thanks in advance

Eshuvijju

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Yes, it's possible to use Photoshop for this, with some effort. But it's a bit like playing piano with gloves on. Once you've done this with InDesign, you will never want to go back. That's a promise.

But editing in...Powerpoint??? I almost can't believe I just read that. They might as well print the file out, rearrange the letters with a pair of scissors, stick it back together with tape and paper clips, and throw the result in a cheap scanner to produce a press-ready file.

You do know that powe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s dreadful to think what happens to your covers if the client edits in Powerpoint. It will convert to RGB for a start. I really advise you to negotiate the trational arrangement where the client tells you what changes to make. Mind you, Photoshop is an unusual choice for the job too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its best if they just mark a .pdf with the edits they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I didn't understand neither of your answers. You mean I shouldn't use Photoshop for designing book covers?

The issue is client was able to edit text previously. She told, she is not able to do the same with the recent pdfs i sent.

Thanks

Eshuvijju

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You have a disastrous arrangement which somehow used to Work. Just as well it’s stopped “working” because it forces this to be sorted out. If you want to collaborate in editing you need to agree and use the same app. This is a universal rule and you can’t get around it by making PDF. PowerPoint if the user insists, though it’s a tool for screen presentations and can’t becexoected to keep press quality.

2. Yes Photoshop is an unusual choice. In this case it’s an impossible one, but normally Illustrator or Indesign would be used to assemble your Photoshop work and add text. However it is possible and practical also to use Photoshop to make a press ready cover. None of these apply if your client wants to do this extraordinary thing and you accept it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Still my client is sticking to the point that she wants to modify using PowerPoint. I have cancelled it though.

But I don't understand why Photoshop is not a right choice for book cover design. I can do everything that I can do using a InDesign or illustrator. Moreover there is much more can be done. Instead of swinging between, i finish the complete cover in Photoshop.

Is there any major issue you can tell, why Photoshop is an unusual choice. There must be strong technical reason when you are saying that. All my work till now had no issues though. But learning is always good.

Thanks and regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's possible to use Photoshop for this, with some effort. But it's a bit like playing piano with gloves on. Once you've done this with InDesign, you will never want to go back. That's a promise.

But editing in...Powerpoint??? I almost can't believe I just read that. They might as well print the file out, rearrange the letters with a pair of scissors, stick it back together with tape and paper clips, and throw the result in a cheap scanner to produce a press-ready file.

You do know that powerpoint scales and rasterizes everything down to 1000 pixels or so, and compresses everything until it screams for mercy? And it's strictly RGB, no CMYK ever escaped from powerpoint. And what happens with your 100K overprint then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that's one reason to not use Photoshop. Even in CMYK, you can't make 100K overprint. Any black text will knock out the other inks, causing registration problems. In fact, you can't make 100K black at all. It will always be 4 color rich black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. When you say about inDesign for book covers, i am really tempted to work with it for covers. But I am not sure, whether I get all options that I use in Photoshop to make a beautiful blended cover. I use InDesign for print ready books and ebooks creation. Sometimes brochures.

I agree with you on PowerPoint. But I explained everything from my end and ended up cancelling future projects with my client. I even conveyed the resolution issue too. But sorry to say, some things cannot be changed.

This forum is excellent. There is a solution for every question posted.

Thanks and regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, you have vastly more sophisticated tools for text handling and creating vector graphic elements.

Naturally, raster images should still be prepared in Photoshop, and placed into the ID document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry. I didn't realize this part. What's this 100K over print? I never heard of it. I meant to say the i never come across. Could you please tell me what is it and what issue it causes.

Thanks

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100K prints on the black plate only.

100K overprint is black text that overprints the underlying inks - instead of knocking out the underlying inks as you'd get in Photoshop when defining text as 0-0-0-100. This is important - it avoids registration problems and improves readability and legibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not send psd or tiff file to client. She can edit in psd and then convert or save it to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Fosse,

Thank you for the details.

May be there is much to learn out here. I didn't know this 100k overprint. I will google to get more information. Basically i am a book formatting and layout professional. During this i started getting cover making requests too. So started in Photoshop with little knowledge.

In regards to sending psd to client, she doesn't have photoshop software.

Thanks and regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines