• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internet Explorer Crash - Acrobat.DLL faulting module

Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Support,

I am part of the technical staff for a software vendor that uses Adobe to display images in a web-browser. We cater to many different environments and have run into this issue several times, i'm hoping that providing this information someone is able to provide some insight on why we are seeing this issue and how it can be resolved. I did a light search of the forums and did not find a related topic

The issue:

Internet Explorer will randomly & intermittently crash occasionally when trying to display a PDF in a web browser.

Details:

We have hundreds of clients and only 4 have seen the issue (meaning 4 different environments) - and in these 4 different environments, the issue continues to be inconsistent. It could happen on one workstation, but not on the next workstation that was made from the same base image, they could have the same software suite & hardware.

The crash has been seen in:

• Internet Explorer 10 & 11
  • Adobe Acrobat 10, Adobe Reader DC, Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Acrobat 11
  • Windows 7 & 10
  • This issue has been occurring over several months (since roughly February) so many windows updates and adobe patches have been put out during this time frame so we've ruled out any specific windows update, internet explorer update or adobe update as the cause.
  • there seems to be no pattern to the images that have the crash
  • there also seems to be no pattern on when the crash will occur

we have also discerned that:

• Firefox has not displayed this issue. (Chrome has not been tested because our software loses functionality with chrome)
  • having multiple versions of adobe installed is not a factor as the crash happens to both single installations or on workstations with multiple.
  • closing the browser and opening up the same image/pdf can display the image without the crash.

Every instance of the crash provides an error message similar to this:

CrashPopup.png

And event viewer provides an entry for each crash, shown below. Here are three examples. note that different DLLs are listed, two of which reference an adobe.dll of some kind.

1st image - "Acrobat.dll_unloaded" listed as fault module

Event Viewer.PNG

2nd image - "acrobat.dll" listed as fault module

Event Viewer2.PNG

3rd image - "MSVCR90.dll" listed as fault module

Event Viewer3.PNG

Troubleshooting done:

• ran CMD command: "sfc /scannow" - even when this command reports that corrupt dlls were found & repaired, this did not resolve the issue. we used this tool since the faulting module always points to a "DLL"
  • 1st - uninstalled adobe, 2nd - ran the cleaning tool provided here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html​. 3rd - used the registry cleaner tool provided with Piriform's "CCleaner" and 4th - reinstalled adobe. issue persisted.
  • same as above but instead installed a different version of adobe. (in example, going from Acrobat 10 to Reader DC) issue persisted.
  • ran repair tool on adobe installation
  • ran windows updates & verified no Adobe or Internet Explorer updates are needed. \
  • various other things have been tried, but none of them seem worth mentioning

Current work-around (step by step)

1. First - verify that the correct version of adobe is listed as the default program for the necessary file extensions in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations" (Seen below)
    FileAssociations.PNG
  2. second - run a repair on the current adobe installation using the repair tool provided in the software
  3. Change the below registry entry to "Disable" adobe from updating automatically. (I've included the correct path for multiple versions of adobe as needed) Registrychange.PNG

Current working hypothesis of workaround:

In most cases, steps 1 & 2 above will resolve the issue it seems. However, the issue crops back up eventually. My current hypothesis is that setting the file-type extensions resolves the crashing issue, but when adobe checks for updates the file type association is "reset" and then the crashing reoccurs & continues to happen. disabling updates will prevent that from happening, seemingly correcting the problem.

It should be noted that the above work around has not worked for every instance of the problem, but has worked for a majority.

Any insight or information that can be provided based off the information above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Hi All,

we were having the same issue at my company. At that time we were using Adobe Acrobat DC - classic track - 15.006.30306. After lots of troubleshooting and log analyzes I have opened a ticket at Adobe where I have been told that this is a known issue at Adobe and is already solved in the newest patch.

Long story short with the previous version (15.006.30392) the issue has been reduced with 90%.

Now we are about to roll out the most recent version (15.006.30394) where the issue should not occ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting to bump for visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndrewDF​, did you ever come up with a permanent solution to this?  I am having similar issues in my organization with Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat DC.

Regards,

Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a User 2 User forum and posters might have an answer but you might get more help if you posted a Feature Request/Bug Report with Adobe. The page's web address may say it all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's a user-to-user forum, but I've haven't had much luck down that avenue, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndrewDF,

Don't know if you'll see this, as this is a year and a half old, but did you ever figure out what was causing this? I made a post last week where I'm seeing the same thing running through my org after a Win10 deployment with any Adobe products 11 and higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

we were having the same issue at my company. At that time we were using Adobe Acrobat DC - classic track - 15.006.30306. After lots of troubleshooting and log analyzes I have opened a ticket at Adobe where I have been told that this is a known issue at Adobe and is already solved in the newest patch.

Long story short with the previous version (15.006.30392) the issue has been reduced with 90%.

Now we are about to roll out the most recent version (15.006.30394) where the issue should not occur at all according to Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having same issue at our organization.  We have tried the above steps as well with no luck. Here is what has worked though, so far.

Went into preferences and unchecked the 3 highlighted options and changed the connection speed to LAN.  Not sure why, but to be honest, just relieved something finally worked.  Let me know if you have success as well.

Thanks,

Dwight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Recently started happening to me

Disabling the IE adobe plugin worked for me (Manage Add-ons -> Run without permissions -> Adobe PDF Reader -> Disable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines