• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Catalog Redux

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue come up a few times over the last few years, It would satisfy my soul to no end to find a permanent solution.

The issue is that for some reason LR creates a duplicate catalog once in awhile and add a number to it, ie catalog becomes catalog 1, etc.

I believe it is a similar issue to the one outlined here: Lightroom Import ADD folder structure issue but it does not seems to concern upper/lower case in my version. So here is what I found today with my drives. My main catalog has been called Henry Photo Libraries 1 (with 86,684 images) since the last time this happened and after an hour long remote support call with Adobe, the tech suggested I NOT change the the name of the catalog, so I left it as is.

My library is on a dedicated EXT HDD and my catalog file is in my dropbox.

Screenshot 2018-01-30 11.37.46.png

If I drop down the Henry Photo Libraries 1 I see:

Screenshot 2018-01-30 11.38.05.png

If I drop down the folder Henry Photo Libraries 1 I see:

Screenshot 2018-01-30 11.38.38.png

If I select any of the folders and "Find Missing Folder" it goes straight to the original ext HDD. If I select it add the photos in that folder to the catalog named "Henry Photo Libraries"

If I drop down the Henry Photo Libraries I see:

Screenshot 2018-01-30 11.38.18.png

With the Henry Photo Libraries 2 now listed, if I drop down the Henry Photo Libraries 2 I see:

Screenshot 2018-01-30 11.38.54.png

It shows the 440 images listed and if I "Show in Finder" it goes to the ext HDD library.

So, what I hope to accomplish is obviously get my catalogs back in order, but more importantly do :something" that might keep this from happening again?

Thanks very much

Henry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

I'm suggesting you do what you think best. I was stating what I do. What you do is up to you.

I fine it easier to copy and rename the catalog file when a new version of LR comes out and updates the catalog. That way I know which catalog file works with each version of LR.

But as state in my last sentence I have never seen LR create a new catalog and add a number to the name unless it was when a new version of LR gets installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally a new catalog is created when you upgrade LR from one version, older, to a newer version.

This happened when LR 5 was retired and Adobe came out with LR 6/2015. It happened again with LR Classic CC V7.

Personally I don't allow LR to create any catalogs in the Default location which is in the Username profile folder then some subfolder under the Pictures folder.

This is the default for both OS X and Windows.

I've been using LR since V1 and have always store my catalog on my D: partition in a folder named for the version of LR that I am using and for the version of LR the catalog is for. Presently I have both LR 5 and LR Classic CC installed and have the catalog files for each in a folder called LR 5 Catalog and LR Classic CC Catalog.

When I installed LR C CC V7 it upgrade my LR 6/2015 catalog to work with LR C CC and added a number to it. I then created a Folder, as mentioned above, and Copied the upgraded catalog into that new folder. Then I change the name of the copied catalog to LR Classic Catalog and then opened LR. When LR opened I then selected to open a different catalog and point it to the Copied and renamed LR C CC catalog and then in the LR Preferences made sure LR was point to always open that copied and renamed catalog. I then deleted the original upgraded one that was in my LR 6/2015 catalog folder.

That is just how I've done this over the 10+ years I used LR. It works for me.

If for some reason you are seeing LR randomly create a new catalog and adding a number to it I have no idea why that is happening. It has never happened to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Are you suggesting I copy my catalog and change the name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm suggesting you do what you think best. I was stating what I do. What you do is up to you.

I fine it easier to copy and rename the catalog file when a new version of LR comes out and updates the catalog. That way I know which catalog file works with each version of LR.

But as state in my last sentence I have never seen LR create a new catalog and add a number to the name unless it was when a new version of LR gets installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines