Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Animation Presets

Guide ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have created a Folder In my Presets Folder called My Presets. if I select my clip and click on Save animation Presets. I get error message you can not save It.

so what I have done was, I save It In my Desktop, and drag it to My Preset Folder Inside the Presets folder, and restart After Effects, then I can see my Custom preset. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Yes, Create an alias that is pointing to Dropbox. The little arrow indicates that the Custom Presets folder is an Alias pointing to another folder. On a Mac, all you do is create the Custom Presets folder in Dropbox, right click on the folder name and select Make Alias, then move the Alias to the default presets folder. This solves the storage problem but you will still get the error message. You can just ignore it.

I'm not sure that I remember the procedure on Windows for creating an Alias. I t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever changed the location of a Presets folder in AE for any reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put an alias in the default presets folder that points to a dropbox folder. All of my 200+ custom and many hundreds of purchased presets go there so that any version of AE I choose to use has access to all of the presets. Many of us have filed feature requests that the presets and scripts folders default location should be in the CC Cloud file folder you get with AE so that this kind of fiddling around is not required. Personally, I think the default folder location is incredibly impractical, but that's the only location where your custom presets will show up in the Effects and Presets Panel. An alias to a dropbox folder solves the lost and can't find my presets problem but it does require you to suffer through the warning that pops up. The warning is just trying to keep you from losing your presets. To keep them organized for every version of AE you are running and make them survive upgrades you have to be a little smarter than the software. I call my folder Custom AE presets:

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 8.20.12 PM.png

Just a start. Here's what it looks in the finder:

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 8.23.32 PM.png

All I have to do to keep all of them organized is duplicate the Custom Presets Alias and move it to the new version of AE. It also saves a bunch of disk space and I can get to any of them from any computer connected to the internet. I do it all the time when I'm working at somebody else's shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Gerald.

when you say "Alias To Drop Box", Is that means, that every time you create a Custom presets, It Is aiming to your Personal Dropbox Folder?

My Preset folder Is In:

Adobe- Adobe after Effects CC 2018- Support Files- Presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Create an alias that is pointing to Dropbox. The little arrow indicates that the Custom Presets folder is an Alias pointing to another folder. On a Mac, all you do is create the Custom Presets folder in Dropbox, right click on the folder name and select Make Alias, then move the Alias to the default presets folder. This solves the storage problem but you will still get the error message. You can just ignore it.

I'm not sure that I remember the procedure on Windows for creating an Alias. I think you have to start by sending the Alias to the desktop then move it to the Presets folder.

As I said before, I think the Presets folder should be in the Creative Cloud Folder so they can be shared between machines without problems. Feel free to file a feature request. Putting things you buy for AE in a folder that does not automatically follow you as a user does not simplify things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mr. Gerard.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines