• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak AE 2018 15.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problem with a memory leak in After Effects 2018 version 15.0.1. Had it in the previous version as well and the Adobe support hopped the update would fix it but it didn't.

It's like After Effects is holding up ram until it's nothing left without releasing anything back. Especially clear when working for a long time or for long renders. It just eats up the ram until AE crashes. Restarting the program or purging the memory inside AE helps but difficult to do during long renders and frustrating.

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro (latest update)

Inter Core i7-7820x CPU @ 3.60GHz

HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 128GB

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Updated all the drivers to latest versions without any improvement.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Would you change the setting of RAM allocation in After Effects Preferences > Memory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

yes, I've tried different settings without any luck. At the moment I have 120gb RAM for AE and 7,7 GB for other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JakobNystrom7,
Sorry for the frustration. Consider allocating more RAM for other applications. You don't want to starve your cores. More info on that: Performance tip: Don’t starve your software of RAM. | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Does that help your situation?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing similar problems with the latest update. Before it was all ok.

Hope they'll release an update that will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just had an update, ElamRotem. Can you check it out?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest update: 15.0.1 (Build 73) and the problem started with that update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. Specifically, it won't purge any memory after doing a render. So, if I have 7 things queued, by the time I get to number 3, it's taken up all the RAM in my system. So, I need to quit AE, then re-open and it works fine again. I think you can probably tell where I closed AE in the chart below. Not pictured is the slow creep upwards over the course of three renders (all of which get increasingly slow.) Alternatively, I can render individually and purge memory between each one, but seems ridiculous to not be able to queue up 7 things to render over lunch.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 12.16.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By now there were several updates (current version: 15.1.1 (Build 12)), but still, the program seems to be holding up ram until it's nothing left without releasing anything back. Almost every time I close the program it crashes and says this:

-----------------------

After Effects error: string memory leak (83 :: 2)

-----------------------

Did someone manage to fix it?

Thanks.

Elam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, huge ram leak in After Effect. Im have 32gb RAM and now have easy one-layer ~6000x4000 composition with one effect (Stabilizer) - when im try to export sequence its easly can just stop render on ~30-40% of progress with no any errors. Just stop and no reaction to nay button (stop, pause and continue pressed but not work). Its show in Task Manager about of ~5gb of usage and almost 30% free but cant work until im close LR, for exmaple. Im buy many RAMs for allow me simultaneous work but weak porgrammers compensate any amount of power reserve. So its no sense buy more then 16gb - its leaked all you have on any amount

And even when im remove layers with footage and try to work in LR but AE opened, AE show in Task Maanger about it use ~150mb of RAM but other soft (XnView, Chrome, LR) - suddenly crush time by time with "no ram" errors.  If im close this empty AE - its again work without issue.

Empty AE with nothing on timeline eat all my 32gb RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with the 2019 update. 32gb of ram. can barely render 2 seconds without using up all the ram and crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for 2 years now. I haven't yet found a forum on it that had the answer. I'm thinking it's something on adobes end for windows users. The memory leak makes my pc crash. It's hard to do any freelance in after effects with these crashes. With the latest update of Illustrator I find it also has a memory leak issue. Hopefully they can fix this up quickly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issue, why hasn't this been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i've found a somewhat solve for this issue. It was something wrong with software in the operating system. Basically I reset my pc and this issue hasn't occurred further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a somewhat solve for this issue. It was something wrong with software in the operating system. Basically I reset my pc and this issue hasn't occurred further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (minimum 4 GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX (minimum 4 GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX (minimum 4 GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (minimum 4 GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M

According to Adobe staff, these are the recommended Graphics cards you should be using with After Effects. I currently have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 & they picked up on this straight away by looking at my Device Manager. The Memory leak is within the Graphics GPU vRAM & causes the crash & memory leak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I'm running AE 16.0.1 on MacOS 10.14.2 with 64GB RAM.  Just as folks have explained here, I'll start a render at the end of the day with 10 renders in the queue.  I come back the next morning to find the computer unresponsive and only 4 of the 10 jobs completed because it ran out of memory.  Looking at the logs, AE takes up over 300GB of memory before the computer throws in the towel.  This is completely unacceptable for a professional application to have such poor memory management.  When can we expect a fix for this, Adobe?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is still a thing.. I/we rely on the Adobe CC suite for income. It's sold as a professional tool and it is clearly brilliant. However we currently pay a fee monthly for what is at times simply unusable software. Rather than every year rush out a load of new features that mostly don't work to start with, maybe we can fix some of the fundamental problems first, so that us long-standing customers can carry on using the software we know, love and rely on for years to come, without fear of a meltdown come deadline day?

Rant over, coffee, restart, try again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here - AE running on a Mac, memory leaks since the last update, making things that used to be really simple incredibly time-consuming. Adobe - please fix this!!!! Can anyone suggest viable motion graphics alternatives in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines