• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I invert selection only on one layer?

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC2017 Mac

I'm trying to clear an area around a selection but only on a specific layer. I've created the new layer and selected an ellipse. Then I selected INVERSE but it's selecting the entire image. I only want to select the top square around the wave, not the blocks with the text below. Screenshot 2018-01-31 08.19.11.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Try doing it this way. With this sort of thing organizing the layers is important. Select your first 8 layers from the top downwards by holding command and clicking each layer and you'll get multiple layers selected. Now press command G on the keyboard and it will put all those layers in a group. That group will contain the lower rectangle with all it's text.

Now do the same thing with layers 9,10,11,12 which will give you a group containing all the components of the wave effect. The layers shoul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the effect you are trying to get?

wave.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing it this way. With this sort of thing organizing the layers is important. Select your first 8 layers from the top downwards by holding command and clicking each layer and you'll get multiple layers selected. Now press command G on the keyboard and it will put all those layers in a group. That group will contain the lower rectangle with all it's text.

Now do the same thing with layers 9,10,11,12 which will give you a group containing all the components of the wave effect. The layers should look like below-obviously you provide the labelling.

5.jpg

I don't have your source file with all the elements so can only provide a simplified view here but the principle holds true with what you have.

Open the 'wave effect ' group and make your elliptical selection as you did before. It doesn't matter which layer you make the selection on , this is just for placement.

6.jpg

Now click on the Wave Effect group which effectively puts an elliptical selection around everything in the group. Make a layer mask on the group by clicking the marked icon.

7.jpg

The layer panel will look like this

8.jpg

and the image will look like below with transparency surrounding the wave. No need to invert anything.

9.jpg

To put in a background simply create a new layer below the wave effect group-not in it-and fill with whatever color or effect you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry that last paragraph is wrong. To put in a background create the new layer under both groups otherwise it will cover up the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!! You're my new hero. I don't know what I would be doing now without your help. THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's nice-thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines