• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loose images in my main library?

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a bunch of loose images in my main library. Not sure how they got there to be honest, but I want to put them into a folder using LR folders. I dont know how to "see them" in LR. How do I select the loose files from within LR?

Should I move them out in the finder and then re-import to LR? I have trained myself never to do anything in the finder when it comes to folder management?

Thanks,

Henry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Hi, Hank

I have already explained this. The method will find all "loose" photos in the folder, not just the one you searched for.

If you have imported these images into Lightroom, then find them in the Grid part of the Library Module. YOu first need to click on "All Photographs" and then use the Filter bar to search for them by file name.

Once you find them, in Lightroom, drag and drop them into the desired folder. Do not do this in your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way you can end up with "loose" images is if you removed images that you didn't want, but didn't choose the option to delete them. They are removed from the catalog, but remain on the disk and in the folder. You can bring them back in or any other images that are in the folder by right clicking on the folder in the library module and choosing the option to synchronize the folder. That will cause Lightroom to any images to the catalog that are in the folder that are currently being ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried synchronizing the top level folder in my library, but the "loose" images remain? If you have another thought or idea I would appreciate the input.

Henry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a "loose" image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a portion of my top level LR folder. Within it are two groups of images that are not in a sub folder, such as the ones below, the CR2 files. They do not appear in the folders panel in LR, or at least I have not seen a way to show them. I would like to organize these "loose" images into an appropriate folder.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.33.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have imported these images into Lightroom, then find them in the Grid part of the Library Module. YOu first need to click on "All Photographs" and then use the Filter bar to search for them by file name.

Once you find them, in Lightroom, drag and drop them into the desired folder. Do not do this in your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, just wondering if there was a way to limit the grid to those files, "files that are not in any sub folder  because there are about 100 of them that I did not show in the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find one of them in the Grid, right click on it and select "Go to Folder in Library"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Folders section in the left hand panel of the LR Library module does not show image files. That is why it is called the Folders section, IE it shows Drives and Folders.

It looks like you are using a Mac as the screen shot you posted looks like Finder.

Are those images displayed in LR if you select All Photographs?

What is the Exact Full Path to those images? Macintosh HD/Foldername​ or are they in the ROOT of the Mac HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the "loose" images are in the folder on my EXT HDD which only contains my LR library.

They appear to be duplicates as if I search for one, say 255.CR2, two images come up. I was able to remove the six CR2 images that are listed above manually, but would love some guidance on how to deal with the larger group, which is about 100 images also "loose" in the parent folder and are NOT duplicates?

I also encountered an issue which I have had many many times, which is the permissions on my ext hdd. I have set the permissions so may times and eventually it gets locked and I think that is the cause of another issue I was posting about:

Duplicate Catalog Redux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hank+uses+DW  wrote

All the "loose" images are in the folder on my EXT HDD which only contains my LR library.

They appear to be duplicates as if I search for one, say 255.CR2, two images come up. I was able to remove the six CR2 images that are listed above manually, but would love some guidance on how to deal with the larger group, which is about 100 images also "loose" in the parent folder and are NOT duplicates?

In Lightroom, drag them into whatever folder you want them to be in. You can select multiple (or all 100) photos and drag them at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry, I must not be being clear. The only thing I have trouble with is how to limit, gather, the 100 images? I can find one by searching, but since they are not in a folder, they do not appear in the folder section of LR. They appear if I show all images, but is there some way I can select the 100 that are loose?

I hope that makes more sense?

Henry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they displayed in LR when you select All Photographs in the Catalog section of the Libraries left hand panel?

If they don't then they are not imported into the LR Catalog.

Select Import at the bottom of the left hand panel, Browse to where they are on your external drive (You do that in the left hand panel of the import dialog), select Move at the top of the import dialog, in the right hand panel in the Destination section select the drive and folder where you want then to be moved to and store and then click the Import button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Hank

I have already explained this. The method will find all "loose" photos in the folder, not just the one you searched for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and I understand the method you are suggesting, what eludes me is that these images are not contiguous. There are 190 images that are spread out in the grid view, I can certainly search for them one at a time using the method you outlined and move them. What would be great would be just ti re-import them so they go into a proper dated album.

I am sorry if I appear to be asking the same question over, I am sure it is my inability to be specific about what I am seeing. If you choose to not answer I completely understand, I am only attempting to find some help on this issue ot save some time re-organizing these images.

Thanks very much for your time and efforts.

Henry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am doing it one at a time, thanks again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines