• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File size questions

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - could anyone explain how a file with smaller pixel dimensions and lower resolution can be bigger in cms?  Two screenshots to explain what I mean:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 16.07.38.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 16.07.57.png

I really can't understand it - any insights would be greatly appreciated.  If it makes any difference the 4.07m file is CMYK and the 57.7m file is RGB.

Many thanks

Angela

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

StudioAnjou  wrote

Hi - could anyone explain how a file with smaller pixel dimensions and lower resolution can be bigger in cms?  Two screenshots to explain what I mean:

I really can't understand it - any insights would be greatly appreciated.  If it makes any difference the 4.07m file is CMYK and the 57.7m file is RGB.

Many thanks

Angela

Its a miss leading dialog its not pixel dimension its number of pixels.  Image file size is dominated by pixels data and pixels can be print any size pixel density

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - could anyone explain how a file with smaller pixel dimensions and lower resolution can be bigger in cms?

Don’t forget the resolution.

Edit: Sorry I was being unclear – the lower resolution means the pixels are »bigger« in output size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Width and Height represents print size in relation to resoltuion. The higher the resolution, the smaller the print size. Change the resolution in the second image, without resampling and you will see the print size increase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StudioAnjou  wrote

Many thanks

Angela

Its a miss leading dialog its not pixel dimension its number of pixels.  Image file size is dominated by pixels data and pixels can be print any size pixel density PPI.  That is why these have print size are are nearly the same. One will be printed with large pixels where there are only 72Pixels per inch and the other is print with small pixels where there are  300pixel per inch.    5,184 pixel per square inch vs 90,000 pixels per square inch.   Resolution is pixels print dimension not display resolution displays can not change  their spots. They display a fixed number of pixels at the resolution they are manufactured with.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded a youtube tutorial on this topic. Maybe this will help. Photoshop Image Size and Resolution - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everybody for taking the time to answer. Yes, it makes sense to me now!

Much appreciation!

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines