Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compatible Webcams

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a high school animation teacher, and I want to use Adobe Character Animator with my students. We don't presently have webcams, however, so I'm going to need to buy 20 of them for my computer lab. I'm looking at several very cheap webcams, but I'm concerned that they might not be compatible with ACA.

Can someone point me towards ACA's webcam specifications?

Thanks in advance.

Vaughn

TOPICS
Camera

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is an official Adobe list of webcams for Character Animator. But there is some discussion about it. You can go  to the forum at Character Animator and search on webcam. Here is one thread that talks about it and recommends two cameras. Webcam recommendations?

It depends to some extent on your operating system.

Also, almost any camcorder or better video camera will work. I use an old Canon HDV.

But the live recording is only part of it. With a single video camera you could have your students record their input and then use the recorded video instead of going live. Manycam is one software that  works for this. The same with audio input -- just record it and import the mp3 into Ch.

Plus there is a whole lot that can be done with keyboard triggers and other features to add to the animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK is right (as usual ) - any modern HD webcam should work. If you're buying 20, to be safe I'd buy one and test first. In my tests I've found it's less about webcam quality and more about good lighting and closeness to the camera for the best performance capture results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify what video camera you use for face tracking? I was thinking of using my DSLR video function as my Face tracker as I use an external monitor on my laptop and I am not looking directly at the laptop's built in camera...thanks

MarkInMN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you use it with zoom/skype/google meet etc? If yes, then it's likely it will work with Ch as well. (You might need to grant Ch permissions to access the camera as it can be blocked by the OS on mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a good webcam? I recently purchased the Logitech c920, but in order to use it I have to start up another app to "jumpstart" it to get it to work properly in CA. It's not an ideal workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find the answer to this exact question. I think I will post it as a new question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines