Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour on layer not working

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUWUlhdBMqs but when I go to paint the colour on the layer nothing happens at all.  Im using PS CC 2017.

Any ideas?

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not watch the video. That said, when painting on a layer and nothing appears, the usual reason is that the Mode in the Brush Options bar is not set to Normal or its Opacity is not set to 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watching the video was quite important I guess but anyway:

I load up my photo >>  New layer >> Change the blending mode to colour mode on the layer >> select B for brush > ensure the brush is in normal mode and everything is 100% (opacity, flow etc etc) >> select a colour on the photo using eyedropper >> start to correct the lens flare >>> Nothing happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After choosing the Brush, did you hold down the Option key to select a suitable color before painting as instructed in the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely I did that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After holding down the Option key (the symbol changes to an Eyedropper) and choosing a source color, did you release the Option key before painting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the steps.

1. Open file with with the image.

2. Add a blank layer (cmd+J) and change the Blending Mode of the new layer to Color

3. Choose the Brush tool (soft edge and appropriate size) Option bar: Mode: Normal, Opacity: 100%

4. Option-click on a suitable Source color

5. Release the Option key and paint on the Target area of the new layer

If you followed those steps and it did not get the desired result, post a screen shot of the entire Photoshop area on your monitor. Be sure to show the Layers and Channels panels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed all those steps and still the same.

adone.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows you are brushing with grey not color. That will not show anything when brushing on a layer set to color blending mode and have a black and white image underneath. (If it was a color image underneath it would desaturate).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Chris. It is a b&w image. A Source sample will be the same color as the Target and maintain the tone value and modeling of the Source. Bottom line: No change. Either try this lesson on a color image or, if you want to lighten or darken an area in this image, let us know and we will supply instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing is I just tried it with a colour photo and I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Step 4 in the list I posted, did you see that Source color in the Foreground Color box of the Tools panel?

Also: remember that if the Target area is white no change will appear because the Target retains its tonal value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I must be missing something here - but where are you picking the color from?

The brush here is loaded with a gray color, so obviously noting will happen in Color blend mode.

...ok, I may be slow, but I'm getting there in the end...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines