1 2 3 4 Previous Next 136 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 4:15 PM by fastasleep Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
        mikel86987428

Can confirm node process at 132% CPU for Dreamweaver 2018. No files open and no other Adobe software running. What is going on?

• 81. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
          B i r n o u Adobe Community Professional

here that seams normal...

11.09.2017-12.30.28

how long the last time that you have reboot DW ?

do you run node services from an external manner ?

did you proceed to a clean install of 2018 ?

• 82. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
            crewmark Level 1

Almost December 2017 so am surprised Adobe has taken so long to fix this bug... have you only got 3 people working on this or something?

First thing I'd like to say is that I am amazed "node" can use 178% of my CPU... in math class I learned 100% was tops.

When starting Dreamweaver (and yes it's the latest as of todays date) the savapi starts first and chews up most of the CPU until DM has properly launched then "node" kicks in and the fans in my MacPro2013 almost launch it off the desk... I'm sure this is not good for my hardware.

So, local sites only, MacPro, 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.12.6. Dreamweaver 18.0 10136 Build.

Come on Adobe, if you add up all the people having this problem, times it by the number of months people have been complaining about this and then times that by the monthly fee you charge, I'm sure there is enough capital there to warrant some actions here.

• 83. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
              barbrab Level 1

And with the recent update to Dreamweaver 18, the problem has returned.
              Wow, this is getting old.

• 84. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                martinwegeberg

Works for me as well – CC2017 and CC2018. The problem rendered the apps totally useless.

Hopefully this gets fixed by Adobe.

• 85. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                  barbrab Level 1

Preran, I have to take issue with your response being marked as a correct answer. This problem is back, with a vengeance. The app is nearly useless and the lag runs to 30 seconds or more. It's actually dragging down my whole system right now. I reboot, everything is fine, I launch dreamweaver, the fan starts in overdrive and the system crawls.
                  This needs fixed. I pay WAY too much money for this.

2 people found this helpful
                  • 86. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                    fastasleep Level 1

No kidding. I had Dreamweaver open with two code editors only last night, the files pane wasn't even connected to the remote server or displaying any files, and walked away to go to bed and the fans were churning away. Logged back in and clicked the battery, and of course the apps using significant energy listed: Dreamweaver.

WHY WHY WHY does a code editor/file browser use significant energy for anything, in 2018? Time to go back to migrating to Coda.

• 87. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                      barbrab Level 1

I just did a forum search for this issue across all CC applications. It appears consistently across Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Illustrator, going back as long as 3 years. Considering I have been complaining for a year and they keep saying a fix is coming, but one clearly isn't, I'd have to say this is something Adobe has no plans to fix.

• 88. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                        mig15 Level 1

I can confirm that this problem still exists in Dreamweaver 2018. I can hardly believe the "correct" answer is a staff member saying "we will fix it one day" and that was about 5 months and a whole version number ago.

There is a suggestion somewhere in here that used to work - create a new file enter some text and close it without saving. It used to work with 2017 and I thought it did with 2018 but I just tried about 20 times with no luck. But I noticed that someone in the thread said that node is used for sass and less files so I tried creating a new less file, entered text and closed without saving and IT WORKED - node doesn't go to 170% anymore!

Spoke too soon. The above DOES NOT WORK. Maybe it works after creating a new document over 20 times or maybe it's a timing thing. I don't know but it's FRUSTRATING.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 89. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm with @Birnou on this. Mine is a constant

• 90. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                            crewmark Level 1

Is this just happening on the Mac or are PCs affected as well?

And, does anyone from Adobe tech actually read these forums?

• 91. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                              crewmark Level 1

Do so called "Adobe Community Professionals" with the pretty orange badges ever actually help in these forums or just grease up to Adobe? I'm very happy yours is a constant but that's not what everyone else is talking about here.

• 92. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe ACPs are fellow product users just like you

For the record, I don't have latency problems either.  I'm on Windows 10 - 64bit with all the latest updates.

• 93. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                  barbrab Level 1

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but I am struggling along right now with this problem, and it appears I am not the only one, and we have been complaining about this for a year. Issues of this sort span 3 years.

Perhaps we aren't directing our inquiries to the correct people? Do you have an email address so I can relay this problem to Adobe's engineers?

• 94. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

You can contact Adobe Customer Care via Online Chat

Contact Customer Care

For best results, use a browser that supports cookies and does not have script blocker add-ons.

• 95. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                      barbrab Level 1

Here's the chat transcript. Thanks for sending me to India!  This is disgraceful. In my initial send I referenced this thread, and you can see where he claims to have read it.

Vivek Choudhary: Hello! Welcome to Adobe support.
                                      Barbra Barbour: Hi
                                      Vivek Choudhary: I read your issue and gone through the forum thread.
                                      Vivek Choudhary: I apologize for the inconvenience.
                                      Barbra Barbour: I think someone needs to actually address this issue, since the fix mentioned in the forum is not much of a priority, even though many of us are struggling.
                                      Vivek Choudhary: Actually it shows 100% but that does not impact your system performance generally.
                                      Barbra Barbour: Sorry?
                                      Vivek Choudhary: The performance of CPU shows 100% on Macbook but that generally does not effect the system performance.
                                      Barbra Barbour: Oh. Is that a fix?
                                      Barbra Barbour: Sorry, I'm not a software engineer. I'm looking for a program that works properly.
                                      Vivek Choudhary: Is there any issue you are facing with Dreamweaver?
                                      Barbra Barbour: Yes, it's well documented in that thread I posted.
                                      Vivek Choudhary: I mean is your Dreamweaver program lagging or creating any issue while you are using?
                                      Barbra Barbour: Yes. Per the thread:
                                      Barbra Barbour: 1. entire system lags
                                      Barbra Barbour: 2. Fans run really loudly and never stop
                                      Barbra Barbour: 3. the program itself lags.
                                      Barbra Barbour: All of that happens within a few minutes of launching the program.
                                      Vivek Choudhary: Are you facing the same issue on your Macbook?
                                      Barbra Barbour: I'm on a macbook!
                                      Vivek Choudhary: Do you have Dreamweaver installed yet?
                                      Barbra Barbour: Are you kidding me?

That's the point where I ended the chat because I could tell we weren't going anywhere.

• 96. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                        mikel86987428 Level 1

Geezus that is really poor. Losing faith in Adobe web products I am afraid.

Currently trying out XD, what a nightmare. Unusable for my clients.

• 97. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                          crewmark Level 1

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Adobe ACPs are fellow product users just like you .

You know that's not true Nancy, otherwise you'd be just as outraged as the rest of us. We pay for our creative cloud membership whereas you don't according to Meet the Experts

"All ACPs receive Creative Cloud and Lynda.com as part of their membership."

We're looking for a REAL solution here and we're getting woeful support... see BarbraB's comment above.

• 98. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

Look folks.  I don't make the software.   And before being invited to join the ACP program, I paid for my software the same as everyone.  So I am a product user just like you except I've probably been using it a lot longer.

Adobe products are not perfect.  I frequently report bugs when I see them.   But it just so happens, high CPU usage is not one that I've encountered.  Since I can't reproduce the problem, I have no idea what's causing it.

My set-up is very simple.

1. Every site is defined.
                                            2. My site folders reside on my primary hard drive -- not a network or cloud drive.
                                            3. Energy saving sleep mode is turned off.
                                            4. If I use fonts, icons or scripts hosted on CDNs, they always point to HTTPS://  protocol.
                                            5. My code is valid.
                                            6. Because I build sites dynamically, the number of site files is typically under 1,000 and that's mostly images.
                                            7. In my site settings, I keep site synchronization turned off.  I don't have much faith in it so I don't use it.
                                            8. If things begin to slow down, I turn off Enable Cache. See screenshot.

• 99. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                              barbrab Level 1

Lol. Thanks for your help. You said you report bugs. This qualifies as a bug. Maybe you can tell me how to report this, since that customer service link isn't helpful.

• 100. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                crewmark Level 1

Thanks Nancy... that's more like it. Looking at the fact you don't have the problem and you have site sync turned off it set me in another direction. I have just done the same and removed all sites therefore relying on ftping to the server via third party software.

For me, running Mac OSX sierra on a Mac Pro that seems to have fixed the issue... I'll keep watching it.

Not an ideal fix as it reduces functionality but at least it's working for the moment.

BTW, been on dreamweaver since Macromedia days so have enjoyed the evolution until recently.

• 101. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                  mig15 Level 1

I have a very similar setup to Nancy. The only difference is the cache setting. I just opened Dreamweaver to check it but node fired up and I'm on a long train trip (using battery) and couldn't afford to waste the battery with Dreamweaver open so had to quit it.

Have been a Dreamweaver user since Macromedia days too.

I wish we had good support.

• 102. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                    barbrab Level 1

I still have the MX book on my shelf. I disabled all the caching months ago. It hasn't helped. I'll see if not using site manager works on Mac.
                                                    I'm disappointed that the only fix is to disable a good part of why I pay for the program. 
                                                    May as well use TextWrangler for free and update the view in-browser with Codekit. 

• 103. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                      Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

barbrab  wrote

Lol. Thanks for your help. You said you report bugs. This qualifies as a bug. Maybe you can tell me how to report this, since that customer service link isn't helpful.

In newer versions of DW, go to Help > Submit Bug/Feature Request which brings you to: Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

That will bring you to a forum that Adobe's development team visits somewhat regularly. You can then either up-vote on existing bugs and feature requests, or start your own.

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 104. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

Going back over this discussion, it looks to be a Mac/Dreamweaver problem, not one that is associated with Windows machines. It also seems to be related to other Adobe products InDesign CC 2018 High CPU usage on a MacBook Pro . It also seems to be affected by other products like WebPack High CPU usage while running on OS X · Issue #293 · facebook/create-react-app · GitHub

Have you read https://medium.com/@jovanshernandez/adobe-cc-2016-cephtmlengine-cpu-fix-fc30a001a102 ?

Is there a MAC forum where these issues can be discussed?

Have you tried contacting Preran as per Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage ?

I do not have the problem, which does not help you. But you could stop the blame game and start analysing the problem. Google the subject and you will find many posts regarding high CPU usage on Macs. The common thread in all of the online discussions is MAC, not just Dreamweaver.

I have spent too much time on this already, as said, I do not have the problem, you have.

• 105. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                          crewmark Level 1

BenPleysier  wrote

But you could stop the blame game and start analysing the problem. Google the subject and you will find many posts regarding high CPU usage on Macs. The common thread in all of the online discussions is MAC, not just Dreamweaver.

I have spent too much time on this already, as said, I do not have the problem, you have.

Well that's worth the free creative cloud subscription you get.. well done ben.

• 106. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

What is so good about your discovery? If you hover over my picture, you will not only see that I am an ageing male person, but I also explained my position. You will also see my real name.

junk.png

I make no secret of the fact that I get something in return. Is the reward enough? Having to deal with anonymous and faceless people on a daily basis, not knowing whether to address them as he, she (I have yet to catch up on gender fluidity), often in a state of frustration and me not knowing their level of expertise and experience, is a problem that I am faced with every day. I receive, on average, 400 Adobe related emails a day and spend at least 3 hours a day on Adobe related matters. It's not just me, I am sure that I am not unique among the other ACP's. Even if I work for $20 per hour, this would equate to  around $20K per year. What do I get? Flack in return.

I do not see many others doing what We as ACP's are doing, even those that have been stalking this forum since August 2010 and made no contributions.

Just to recap some of the statements made

Do so called "Adobe Community Professionals" with the pretty orange badges ever actually help in these forums or just grease up to Adobe? I'm very happy yours is a constant but that's not what everyone else is talking about here.

Well that's worth the free creative cloud subscription you get.. well done ben.

[expletives removed]

• 107. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                              crewmark Level 1

Ben, this is not a community feel good forum... it's meant for people trying to discover real answers to real issues related to Adobe software. Those of us who have not accepted "gifts" from Adobe to be here want solutions. As you will see from this particular string this has been an ongoing problem and there are a lot of very upset people out there.

You have chosen to do Adobes bidding and realistically Adobe should be paying real experts to help it's customers. If you find this all too hard then retire because this type of work IS stressful when you haven't got the answers.

This is not a go at you personally as I do not know you... I'm sure you're a very nice fella but try to appreciate everybody elses frustrations.

Peace Brother.

• 108. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                barbrab Level 1

How did this thread get marked as answered? It is most definitely not answered. 

• 109. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

I think the answer sums up the situation fairly well.  

• 110. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                    mig15 Level 1

It's not an answer though. It may sum it up the situation but it's not an answer.

• 111. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                      barbrab Level 1

Let it go. She just needs to get the last word in. When the people who are supposed to be helpful aren't and treat the customers with contempt, you have all the info you need.

• 112. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

I will add to what Nancy said that, I'm also running W10 64

very often my set-up is not very simple.

1. not all my site, or works, are defined.
                                                                        2. My site folders always reside on a network drive.
                                                                        3. the Energy saving sleep mode is turned on.
                                                                        4. If I use fonts, icons or scripts hosted on CDNs, they are not often, or always, always point to HTTPS://  protocol.
                                                                        5. My code is not often valid.
                                                                        6. Because I build sites dynamically, the number of site files is always over 3500 files (and that is without any files, pdf and other non code files).
                                                                        7. In my site settings, I keep site synchronization turned on
                                                                        8. I always turn on Enable Cache.

well that is not at all to argue with Nancy position, but just to say... that either if those 8 points are not well adi=vices, they don't make my funs run... nor occupy 100% of CPU...

what I remember is having a laptop computer that was always launching its fun... the solution (and workaround) was to very often aspire at the level of the fan and from time to time clear the wads of dusts that cumulated here and there ... but on the other hand in order to limit overheating due to poor air circulation, I always raised the computer using wedges and I never put it directly on the worktop

• 113. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

going that way... you can also launch a tasks... and watching your action on script to reload your page in whatever browser you like... by the way also use connect server to allow any device around to do the same... just 2 cents

• 114. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

one can also directly suscribe to the prerelease forum, and directly talks to the engineer... don't you think ?

• 115. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

before finding the solution, if solution there is a solution that can be found, we should first try to localise the real problem and where it comes from... it apparently doesn't occur to all of us...

what should be have like trouble ?

100% cpu and fun running...

perhaps it is probably not only occuring from Dreamweaver alone but to probably something external to Dreamweaver too... (os, hardware, acces disk, settings, dusts, and so on).

so ... it apparently only occur on Mac...?

thos from you who are on Mac... and that the problem occur... can you tell us

• what dw build
                                                                              • what OS version
                                                                              • what hardware, model, cpu, ram, laptop/desktop

I think that everyone in this forum try to help each others... there isn't , at least as far as I know... in a side those who ask question and in the other side those who answer question... for what I think there are questions and there are answers, or not... and no one care about whose answer... if people spend more and more time doing this... if they try to really help and are sometimes finding solution, sometimes not...

they are not to blame at all...

one major point that we have also to admit is that this forum is not only based in a unique time zone... some sleep, some work, some have external life, some are in vacation (hello Paula)... and so message are not like a real time chatting...

one other major point to take into account is that message thread are not instantly closed... this present one started in novembre the 16th

that said... I've lost the initial problem... so is it that

- 100% cpu

- fun running ?

in an other hand, can the person that meet the problem join the prerelease ?

• 116. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                                Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

one can also directly suscribe to the prerelease forum, and directly talks to the engineer... don't you think ?

I don't think I would.

The pre-release forum is for the pre-release version of the program. Cluttering it up with issues in current and non-current versions of DW would be a bit counter-productive in my opinion.

The Uservoice (bug report/feature request forum) is the right place to go with bugs in the current release.

However, Preran mentions above that Adobe has identified the issue and is working on it. The response is getting a little long in the tooth (5 months old) and I think an update to the status of the fix is overdue, but he also mentioned it wouldn't be in the release that dropped between then and now.

Personally, I won't use CC2018, aside from opening it to help people on the forum locate options from the "updated for updating's sake" menu system. I'm still very happy with CC2015 and don't have any plans to move away from that for production purposes until I see the flaws taken care of in the newer versions.

For those who just want to get their work done, as paid subscribers, you do have access to all CC versions of DW. All of the major releases can be installed on the same machines at the same time under a single subscription. They won't run concurrently, so if you needed to have a specific feature from a version you're not using, you'd have to shut down one program and open the next. To get the older version installed while Adobe works on a fix to your problem...

1. Open the CC Desktop App
                                                                                2. Click the Apps tab
                                                                                3. Click the small triangle next to DW's Install/Update/Open button
                                                                                4. Click Other Versions
                                                                                5. Click CS6, CC2014 or CC2015 and install it

For future release installations, make sure to click the Advanced Options link in the installer dialogue. That allows you to turn off the "Remove Older Versions" checkbox so you can keep your functional versions while testing the latest release. If there are bugs like the one above, you'd still have a functional version of the program that allows you to work while Adobe repairs their sometimes rushed new release.

• 117. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage

I agree that if the version containing the bug is CS6 or an old CC one... going on the prerelease is counter productive... but if the bug is present in cc2018... and wodth was already there in cc2017... there are many many chance that it will also be present in the next version (which is the one downloable from the prerelease web site...)

I will add that prerelease is now a public prerelease and folks are all invited to join...

for what I think the better place to be to correct bugs is to be involved in prerlease and push on that way... currently I'm personnaly involved in many tracking and not from the help menu (which need to have voice to climb into the top ten bug)... but from prerelease...

my 2 cents

• 118. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                                    mig15 Level 1

Thanks Jon Fritz II that is an answer - though not ideal, it would solve the problem.

I think I have found an answer that works in the current version!

I switched off "Enable Auto Compilation On File Save" in the "CSS Preprocessors" section of the Site Management screen for the current site I'm working on - and it worked!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 11.30.21 am.png

When I switch it on, node goes to above 150% and when I switch it off the Dreamweaver node process(es) go to 0%.

I hope others have the same success.

3 people found this helpful
                                                                                    • 119. Re: Dreamweaver CC 2017 process "node" high CPU usage
                                                                                      Comus Sola

Thanks so much, this worked for me. I had got so used to the fan whirring all day for months on end -  the silence is wonderful!